zero

Vernon used to love Wednesdays so much, until he got the call from the hospital.

Wednesdays were the days when him and Seungkwan, his boyfriend, did not have any tests or an extensive amount of homework. Thus, the both of them had time to unwind and be together after their classes. In most cases, it meant that they would go to the gas station, buy some snacks, and then head to Vernon's place where they would watch a movie or take long naps.

That Wednesday, when Vernon greeted him in the school parking lot, Seungkwan did not give him a smile back, nor wrap his arm around Vernon's waist.

"What's up with you, Boo?" Vernon asked, his eyebrow raised.

"I'm not in a good mood, can't you see?" Seungkwan answered, rolling his eyes.

Vernon let his comment slide. "Then why are you in a bad mood?"

With tears at the corners of his eyes, Seungkwan mumbled, "My teacher yelled at me after class today. He said that I was slacking, that I was not doing as well as he wanted me to. He says if I get a B on this next test, I won't be valedictorian."

Seungkwan was big on doing his best academically and performing better than anyone. When things did not go his way, he became sassy and upset, sometimes ruining other people's days.

However, Vernon loved him regardless.

"I'll take you to my place," Vernon offered, "and instead of a movie, we can study together."

"I'll get distracted," Seungkwan said, "I won't study if I see your face. I'll just think about kissing you."

Vernon laughed, which made Seungkwan smile a little bit.

"I'm going home," Seungkwan mentioned, "I plan on walking today. I'll come to your place when I'm done studying, and we'll watch a movie."

"I'll see you soon then," Vernon grinned, pressing a kiss to Seungkwan's forehead before walking away to his motorcycle.

He bought him and Seungkwan all the snacks for their movie night. Vernon even bought a carton of Seungkwan's chocolate milk and some Oreo cookie sticks that they both really loved. He hoped that it would brighten Seungkwan's mood and make him smile. Around eight o'clock, Vernon received a text.

my baby boo: I'll be there at 9, I'll give you a call when I'm outside.

Vernon sent him a bunch of heart emojis back, because he knew that Seungkwan hated when he did not send something along with those emojis. To Vernon, he thought heart emojis were just enough to show Seungkwan he loved him. Plus, Vernon did not know what to say half the time.

By nine o'clock, there was no knock or doorbell ringing. Vernon assumed Seungkwan was just walking super slow.

By ten o'clock, Vernon suspected something was wrong, and decided to call Seungkwan. Seungkwan did not answer the phone.

At eleven o'clock, Vernon got a phone call.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Is this Vernon Chwe," the voice asked, "the boyfriend of Seungkwan Boo?"

Vernon hesitated. "Who's this? Where is he?"

"He's here at the St. Rose Hospital, he got into an accident a few hours ag-"

Vernon rushed out of the house, his T-Shirt and lounging shorts doing nothing to protect him from the cold air. He immediately jumped onto his motorcycle, and raced down the road to the hospital.

Please don't be dead, Vernon thought, please be okay.

When Vernon had walked into the waiting room, he saw Seungkwan's mother already waiting. With tears in his eyes, he walked into his awaiting arms, his heart heavy with worry for his boyfriend.

"It's okay, Vernon," Seungkwan's mother assured him, her fingers running through his hair. She could hear Vernon's quiet cries. "Seungkwan is going to be fine."

"Family of Seungkwan Boo," a nurse called.

Vernon and Seungkwan's mother looked at her.

"Seungkwan got into a car accident," the nurse informed him. "He was crossing the street when the man at the stop light failed to see him, hitting him as soon as the light turned green. He sustained some head injuries, but Seungkwan is alive and well, and is waiting for you both in room 317."

Vernon and Seungkwan's mother were rushed into room 317. Inside, laying on the bed underneath a heavy blue blanket, was Seungkwan. A large cut resided on his left cheek, and his forehead was badly bruised. His eyes had big bags underneath them, and his eyes were about half way opened.

Vernon walked up to the bed, wrapping his arms around Seungkwan's sore body and kissed his face multiple times. His tears spilled down his cheeks as he told his boyfriend how worried he was about him.

"When you get out of here, we'll get some ice cream and cold chocolate milk," Vernon promised, "and we'll watch an episode of that Taiwanese drama that you love so much. I should have been more stubborn, I should have offered to take you home, and I didn't and I'm so sorry."

After Vernon finished giving him so many kisses, he pulled away and looked into Seungkwan's eyes. He did not see the warm, loving gaze that he wanted, and in fact, Seungkwan looked more scared than relieved.

"Seungkwan, baby?" Vernon asked. "Are you alright?"

Seungkwan turned his head to his mother, his eyes suddenly wet and glistening from the forming tears.

"Mom, who is he? "