It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

“Congratulations.” Adrik says walking into the kitchen. I smile at him and hop off the counter. I had to help clean the dishes up and my hands felt all wrinkly. Adrik leans against the counter across from me.

            “Well thank you. At least your polite about it.” I say. I know that Adrik wasn’t the happiest about this marriage thing, but at least he was being supportive, unlike Nick who was supposed to be my best friend. Adrik sighs and crosses his arms.

            “Ah, you are talking about Nick.” I nod. Adrik and I stare at each other in silence.

            “He said he loves me and that he wants to be with me.” I say. Adrik sighs—again.

            “I know. He really thought you were the one for him. He told me and I know that he is seriously crushed by this.” Adrik says. That just makes me feel worse. I really hope that I could get pass this with Nick. I needed him.

            “I don’t know what to do.” I say putting my head down in defeat. I can feel Adrik stepping closer. He brings me in for a hug.

            “He’ll get over it—he just needs time.” Adrik says quietly. I guess that Adrik was right. I hope he is right.

            “Thanks.” I tell him. He smiles at me. I say goodnight to Adrik and head into the living room. Will was probably already sleeping, but I was nowhere near tired. My mind had to many thoughts in it to even rest.

            I turn on the television and plop down on the couch. I take a blanket and wrap it around me. The fire was on, but I still felt cold. I stay up and watch television. My mind lingers over Nick and our problem. I should talk to him, but what would I say? It wasn’t my fault that I didn’t love him the way I loved Will…

            “Hey.” A voice. I nearly jump up in the air. I didn’t think it was possible for anyone to sneak up on me these days with my werewolf senses and all. When I turn my head, I see Nick.

            “You scared me.” I say. He smiles sadly and takes a seat on the couch to the left of me. I turn down the television and look at Nick. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I sum up the courage to say something to him.

            “I don’t want you to be mad at me Nick. I do love you, just not in the way you want.” I say with my voice fading in and out. It always happened when I was about to cry.

            “I know Estelle. I can’t find a way to be friends with you because I don’t know how to go back to being friends again.” Nick admits. I don’t say anything. He was sort of right. After him kissing me, everything just feels awkward with him.

            “It is going to take me a while to accept the fact that you will never be mine.” He says. This was a step in the right direction for us. Once he came to terms, we would be okay. Everything would be okay.

            “I’m so sorry Nick.” I say. He has lost everything and I felt so bad for him. I look down at the ground. He didn’t have a family left. All he really had was me and I rejected him. Nick doesn’t say anything and I look up to see that he just left. I sit back, deep in the couch and lay down. I fall asleep eventually.

            “What happens now?” A man says. He is muscular and tall, but a little wide. Another man that is standing next to him radiates so much power. They both have the oddest looking eyes I have ever seen.