•CH 4: Three girls•

"'Cause your face looks so familiar, but your eyes have lost their shine."

-Maya Cooper

••••

Maya's POV

You see, I'm a helpful person. Whenever I see an opportunity to help a fellow student out, I grab that opportunity with both hands.

I noticed that Younes was sneakily holding something, asking Max to hand it over to another student.

A little see through bag with something white in it.

Max refused to pass it on at first but eventually gave in. My eyes were constantly traveling from that bag to the teacher.

Until..

Until the teacher noticed they were passing things to eachother.

He sighed after he had stopped talking. "Max," He said. "What do you have in your hand?"

I could see in the teacher's face that he was already so tired, even though the schoolyear just started 4 days ago.

"Nothing sir." Max responded.

Everyone was staring at him, all waiting for him to hand over what he was hiding.

Younes' face went completely pale and you could see in his movements that he was getting nervous with the minute.

"Sir-" Younes interupted, trying to help max out but was cut off by the teacher.

"Not a word." he said. "Max?" He added, raising his eyebrows.

"Sir I honestly have nothing." Max was getting desperate. At how he was holding the content made me realise what he exactly was hiding.

Drugs.

If he gets caught with drugs, he will be expelled and as he's already 18, he'll go behind bars for dealing on school property. And that all just to help his friend out, it wasn't even his.

"Sir." I said raising my hand.

"I have a question about what you last said."

The teacher was getting confused and didn't know if he should either stop class for maybe something stupid or he'd continue and answer my question. He doesn't get a lot of questions, so he'll definitely grab this opportunity.

He cleared his throat, "Sure Maya, what's your question?" He asked.

I asked him my question and got an answer almost immediately.

I looked over at the 3 guys who were already glaring at me. They looked relieved and Max wasn't holding the stuff anymore. I looked away after a few seconds and faced the teacher again. A slight smile appeared on my face, knowing I maybe saved someone's future.

It didn't take long before the bell went off for lunch. I walked out of class as fast as I could, only to be followed by Max behind me. "Thanks." he whispered shortly and left right after. I stared at him as he left and couldn't be more proud on myself.

Good job, I thought, just don't get caught in between.

..

Right, No friends.

I was eating lunch alone for 4 days in a row now. I had no friends and was bad at making them. I don't need friends, I thought, trying to make myself feel better. Knowing well enough I would never get through this last year without having a proper friend.