Icarus

I woke up to Violet shaking me. "Wake up!" She whispered.

I opened my eyes slightly. The room was completely dark. "What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Shhhhhh!" Violet hissed, slapping a hand over my mouth. She cocked a head towards Cameron, who was sound asleep across the room. "It's 5:45." She whispered. "Let's go."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "Where are we going?"

"We're going on an adventure." She whispered, and with no further explanation grabbed the keys off of Cameron's night stand and walked out the door.

I pulled a black shirt over my head and grabbed a jacket, then followed her outside to where Cameron's car was parked. Violet was already seated in the driver's seat.

"You're not really driving, right?" I asked, rubbing my eyes and sitting down in the passenger seat. "I wasn't planning on dying tonight, Violet."

Violet scrunched her nose at me. "I don't suppose you know where we're going, do you?" I shook my head. "Great!" She stomped onto the gas pedal, and I was thrown back.

Violet's driving had gotten worse, if that was possible.

I glanced at her from the corner of my eye, too afraid to take my focus off of the road, which seemed to be shaking in front of me. "Where are we going?" I asked again.

"Carter." Violer sighed, shaking her head. "We both know I'm not going to answer that."

"Fair enough." I muttered.

After a couple minutes, the car stopped shortly. "We're here!" Violet told me.

I looked to my right. A cliff. It was just a cliff. "Is this because I insulted your driving? Are you going to push me off, now? Because—"

Violet punched me lightly and laughed. "Just get out."

I stepped outside and shut the door behind me. The sky was shaded dark blue, the low hum of crickets filling the otherwise silent night.

Violet led me to the ledge, where we sat down and let our legs dangle freely, a large stream rushing three hundred feet below us. 

"Beautiful, huh?" She asked, nudging me with her shoulder.

I nodded.

"This is a special place to me, you know that right?" She turned to me, her large blue eyes scanning my face. "Whenever life gets too stressful, or I just need a break, I come here." She reached for my hand, wrapping her cool, slim fingers around mine. "Nobody else knows about it but you."

"Not even Cameron?" I asked, my voice wavering.

Confusion showed in her eyes. Then, realization settled in, and she pressed her lips into a line. "You know." She said quietly.

I swallowed. "Yeah."

"No." Violet said, turning back to face the water. She picked up a pebble and tossed it down into the stream. I watched it get smaller and smaller, until it disappeared completely, masked by the shadows. "Not even Cameron."

She chose not to tell him. She chose me. Nobody knew but me.

I tried to hide my smile.

I squeezed her hand, feeling the fresh air on my face, letting the soft breeze play through my hair. The sun was starting to rise, pink and orange streaks painting the sky.

I glanced at Violet, her head rested on my shoulder, fingers intertwined with mine.

I thought of Melvin, Griffin, Cameron— every boy she had encountered. They all seemed hypnotized by her— mesmerized. They would have done anything for her, and she was quite aware. She knew how to charm them— her smile like butter, words like blossoming flowers. I thought of the way they looked at her: eyes large and sad, the way a child would look at a chocolate bar through a candy shop window.

They knew they couldn't have her. But it was too late, they were already addicted: drawn to her like moths to a light.

Violet was the sun— beautiful, flaming, bright. And I was Icarus.

If I got too close, she would burn me.

~~~~

Hello lovely readers! If you could tell, I was trying to illustrate some sort of point there in the last couple paragraphs, but I'm not too sure if I made it all that clear or understandable.

Let me know what your understanding/interpretation of that was! :)