Did you hit that asshat hard?

The next morning, Theresa introduced me to the two other occupants of the house.

There was Ashlyn, a moody blonde teenager who painted her eyelids black and wore large lace-up boots. She was a foster kid, who's been living here for the past year. She didn't so much as give me a glance.

Then, there was Isabella, Theresa's eight year old biological daughter. She shared the same warm, brown eyes and dark curly hair as her mother.

At seven, we all packed into the car. I was wearing the same clothes as yesterday, and carrying one of Cameron's old backpacks.

"We'll get you some new clothes, I promise." Theresa had told me, ruffling my hair.

Cameron sat up front, tapping his foot. "We're going to be late." He muttered under his breath.

Violet leaned forward, resting her chin on the top of his seat. "Don't you mean you're going to be late, Mr. College Guy? If I was given the choice to chose when my classes were, I sure as hell wouldn't chose them to begin at eight in the morning."

Cameron shrugged. "My brain works better in the mornings."

"Actually," I piped in. "The brain's developmental time does not start until ten a.m."

Cameron chuckled. "I like you, New Kid."

We came to a stop in front of New Utrecht High. Violet, Ashlyn and I got out of the car, waving goodbye.

Ray was waiting for me in front of the school. "Dude, where've you been for the past three days?" He asks as I approach him.

I shrug. "Long story."

He looks at his watch, back at me. "I have time."

As we walk into the school, I explain to him what happened.

"That's sick!" He says once I've finished, as if I'd just told him about a new video game. "Wait, so you hit him? Like how hard? Did you hit that asshat hard?"

I grin. "Pretty hard." 'Pretty hard' was an understatement. My knuckles were still throbbing from the impact on Gabriel's jaw.

He laughs, slapping me hard on the back. "Dude, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to grow the balls to do something like this."

I laugh in response.

"So," Ray continues. "You're living with Violet Sanders now, huh?" He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

I punch him in the shoulder lightly. "It's not like that."

Ray lets out a malicious giggle which would have put a psychopath to shame.

Then bell rings and we split paths to face the unbearable maltreatment known as class.

Not gonna lie; this chapter was pretty sucky. Like, really sucky. I promise I will go back and fix it some time and deprive it of its sucky-ness.