The Arena Dedicated to Sports and Psychique

"Melvin!" Violet hollered. A flustered sophomore turned around and began to inch his way towards us.

"Melvin, dear." She said, laying a graceful hand on his shoulder, smiling in that mesmerizing way that only Violet Sanders could. "We need to borrow your car."

Melvin fiddled with the cuffs of his flannel. He was nervous. Violet could have that effect on people. "Sure, anything for you Violet. I'll just take uber, or something." He smiled shyly, fishing out a pair of keys from his pocket and pressing them into her hand. "The red Volkswagen."

"Ah! You're incredible!" Violet exclaimed, leaning forward and pecking him on the cheek. His face began to redden. She turned to me. "Shall we?" I nodded and followed her down the steps and into the parking lot.

"How did you do that?" I asked her as she unlocked the car and slid into the driver's seat. I pulled the door open and sat down in the passenger's seat.

She frowned, examining herself in the rear view mirror. "Do what?"

"You just... get people to do things so easily."

Violet smiled, shifting her body to face me. "I don't know Carter, I really don't. It might be the fact that I'm just insanely irresistible." She winked and turned back to face the steering wheel, her dark ponytail swishing back and fourth. I knew she was joking, but the thing was, that was it. Everybody loved Violet; they couldn't help it. She was this beautiful, bubbly, witty girl, how could you not? She was irresistible.

She pulled out of the lot, and after a couple seconds it became abundantly clear that Violet could not drive.

She swerved, nearly hitting another car. "Watch out!" I warned, tightly gripping the edge of my seat. The car was going way too fast for my comfort.

Violet waved it off. "Gotta live a little, Carter."

"I can't live if I'm dead." I pointed out. "Which I will be if you keep—" the car stopped suddenly, causing my whole body to jerk forward. "—driving like this."

Violet laughed, although I didn't find the situation quite as amusing.

"Where are we going, anyway?"

She turned to face me, which deeply concerned me due to the fact that she was driving a four-thousand pound vehicle at fifty miles an hour. "Why, we are going to the arena dedicated to sports and physique." 

"The gym." I corrected.

"Call it whatever you want, lame-ass. We're going there." She said. Then she slammed her foot onto the accelerator with all the force in hell and the car jolted forward.

The rest of the ride consisted of me muttering a string assorted profanities under my breath while Violet continued with her screw-the-breaks driving. Finally, we pulled up at the gym, and I let out a sigh of relief as we stepped out of the death trap.

Violet got out of the car, then kicked the door shut behind her. She grinned at me, lightly punching my chest. "When I'm done with you, my friend, the hulk will envy your very existence." She said.

I wanted to point out that the hulk was pretty much a giant green bean on steroids, and that I, particularly had no interest in becoming so. But then Violet walked into the gym, so I assumed I should do so also.

Once I pushed open the doors, I was immediately greeted by a gush of cold air. The gym was large, with tall plants neatly placed throughout the room, a nice contrast to the stark white walls.

Violet was leaning against the front desk, chatting with a tall, muscular guy wearing a tight black shirt. "Carter!" She called. "Meet Griffin. Griffin, Carter." She gestured for us both to shake hands, and we did.

"Nice to meet you, man." Griffin said.

"Yeah." I said, and that concluded our small, awkward conversation.

"Well then." Violet said, pursing her lips. "I've gotta get this one—" she patted me on the shoulder "— buffed up. So, see 'ya later Griffin."

Violet walked down the hallway, and I followed her. "I started teaching soul cycle here a couple weeks ago." She explained. "So I kind of get a free pass into the gym." She opened one of the doors to reveal a large room, one wall lined with mirrors, and a couple punching bags near the other wall. In the center of the room was a ring.

Violet tossed me a pair of gloves, and I quickly put them on.

"I'm not going to fight you, right?" I asked.

"Because you know I'd win?"

I scoffed. "No."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe."

Violet laughed. "Here— you'll be sparring with this punching bag."

I nodded.

"Punch it."

I shrugged. Punched the bag.

"Harder." She said.

I punched it again.

"Harder."

Again.

"HARDER!"

I squeezed my hand into a tight fist. Summoned all my strength. Imagined Gabriel's face on the punching bag. Then I swung a hard fist.

The punching bag swung back and hit the wall, hard.

"Well, damn." Violet said, examining the damage. There was a small dent in the wall. "I didn't think you had it in you, Jones."

----------
Well. There it is. I've been procrastinating on finishing this chapter for so long, and now I finally have!

If you would comment and tell me what you feel about my story/any feedback, I would deeply appreciate it. I know my writing isn't perfect, (not even close) and I'm always looking for ways to improve! So please give me some feedback:-)