01 | Ethereal

♣   ♣   ♣

"You have everything you need?" mom asks me when I sleepily enter the kitchen. I nod lazily and sit down by the breakfast bar, resting my head against my hand. A yawn escapes my lips as I'm slowly forcing down my breakfast despite my non-existing appetite. I glance at the clock. Seven twenty. God, I shouldn't have stayed up so late watching anime.

Today is my first day at Korean high school. I wasn't too excited about it, to be honest.

We moved here a few days ago because of mom and dad's work. They obviously couldn't say no to the offer, honestly neither would I if I were them, so here we are. They can both speak Korean pretty fluently. However, me on the other hand -- nooope. To be fair, I have a strong basis since I can both read hangul and understand pretty much anything I hear. My speaking ability however.. now that is another story. But I will survive, I think..

"Remember that you should speak formally in school, especially with the teachers. Never call anyone by their first name until you become familiar. Bow when you greet someone new.." I hear my mom babble on, but I had completely spaced out and therefore didn't apprehend any word she was saying. Realization had finally started to sink in, suddenly making me nervous and anxious about school. Appetite now completely lost, I push away the plate containing my half-eaten toast and allow myself to let out a deep sigh.

"I know, mom.. You told me that yesterday, the day before and the day before that. Don't worry, I'm not that unfamiliar with Korean culture," I mumble monotonously before standing up to dispose the leftover food and placing the dishes in the dishwasher.

"Just making sure. Oh, crap! Is it seven thirty already?! Dammit, I'll be late!" she suddenly exclaims in hysteria before quickly standing up and bolting towards the hallway, searching for her bag and car-keys meanwhile.

"Have a nice day, sweetie! I love you so much!" Is the last thing I hear before slamming the door after herself, not giving me any time to even respond with a simple goodbye.

Then I realize; I have to walk to school. Oh crap.

Heavily panting and probably sweating, I arrive five minutes past eight to the school grounds, eyes immediately scanning and searching for the building where my classroom was supposed to be located.

Of fucking course I'm late to my very first day at school. Luckily enough it was only a couple of minutes past the first period, but it's still embarrassing enough to walk into a full-seated classroom with all eyes on you. To make things better; being a half-italian, half-swedish girl -- which probably isn't very common in Korea -- will cause people to stare even more when I walk into the room exhausted and flushed, while trying not to ejaculate my lungs out of my face while catching my breath.

And even better; this school is enormous. Adding the size of the school to the equation in ways to screw me over this morning, it will probably take me an additional hour to find my classroom, if I'm lucky.

Wow, someone up there must really despise me.