Arch (4)

She’s. Not. There.

Three words. It only took three words to finally beat me. I could withstand all the pain and suffering those demons could do to me but this was different. This was an indirect attack.

And it hurts like hell.

I just sat there quietly. Trying to let everything sink in while those three words are repeated inside of my head. Why would the demons target Jade? True she was my girlfriend but she was human and had nothing to do with all these stuff.

Everything was a mess. I was a mess. My mind was a mess. I couldn’t think straight. Jade is missing and probably dead while I sit still in here and do nothing.

Why am I doing nothing?

I quickly stood up. A while ago, I would have quickly fell down the instant I moved but this time was different. My body was running on determination and that triggered my body’s healing process.

“Xavier!” Janna grabbed my arm. “What are you doing? You’re too weak to move.”

“I need to go,” I said calmly which surprised me. I haven’t noticed that my head suddenly cleared up and I could finally think straight.

“But Xavier, you’re still healing,” Janna tried to reason with me but my mind was set. I need to stop doing nothing.

Jake sighs. “Janna, let him do what he wants.”

My twin glared at Jake. “Could you stop spoiling him? My brother is wounded and I won’t let him go and do idiotic stuff that would lead him into certain death.

Jake gave me an apologizing look and shrugged as if to say at least he tried.

I took a deep breath. “Janna, I’m going. It’s up to you if you want to just let me go or we need to do this the hard way.”

Silence. Everyone was looking at Janna. I gave everybody a silent plead of help.

Surprisingly, it was Maxie who spoke. “You should let him go,” she said to my sister. “You know that he’ll never rest until he sees for himself.”

Janna sighed. “Fine. Go and do what you want,” she walked closer and gave me a hug. “Just be careful.”

I nodded at her before running out of the building. The minute I got out, I summoned my wings and flew towards Jake’s house.

I was determined. If Jade is not there then I’ll find her. I won’t believe that she’s dead until I saw her body for myself. I need proof.

The minute I arrived at Jake’s house, I felt something weird. I quickly went inside and bolted up the stairs towards the room where I left Jade. I opened the door and what I saw surprised me.

The entire room was trashed.

There were sign of struggle. The curtains were ripped out and there were slash marks on the bed. There was ash on the floor and the smell of smoke lingered in the air.

My heart pounded. I was nervous. I was trying to stay positive and kept on telling myself that she’s not yet dead until I see her body but I know that I’m only fooling myself. We’re talking about demons. Demons who as good as promised to kill my girlfriend this exact night.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Jade’s number. After three rings she picked up.

“Thank God!” I immediately said.

“It’s too early to thank God,” a familiar female voice said.

“You,” I spat with venom. “What have you done to her?”