Arch (3)

The night was dark.

I mean it was not just the usual evening darkness. The darkness that enveloped us as we walked was different. It was moving, shifting and weaving itself around us like it was alive.

That was not a good sign.

You could feel the tension among the eight of us. We were not our usual selves. We were nervous and maybe a little bit scared. Even Ethan was keeping quiet.

That was another bad sign since Ethan has always something to say.

The building in which our target is currently located is about a mile away from headquarters. It was an abandoned building that used to be a business establishment who sells cars. We decided to walk towards there instead of flying or using a car. I don’t know why but everybody agreed that it’s best if we walked.

We were walking on the less populated part of the city and our only source of light were the fluorescent lamps. There was only enough light for us to see the sidewalk and not stumble into anything on the road.

I looked at the faces of my companions. They look grim yet there was a still a burning fire of determination in their eyes. We are committed to our job. We knew the dangers of being a Hunter. We knew that by joining the group we would sacrifice a lot.

Maybe even our own lives.

Janna, my twin sister, shivered. “Is it just me or something’s really strange?”

Maxie reached out and held her hand. “No, it’s just not you. There’s something really strange here.”

I snickered. “Of course there is something strange. In what place would you normally see seven armed teens walking down the street?”

Maxie rolled her eyes which I almost didn’t see it due to the darkness. “Could you take something seriously for once?”

I snorted. “Why do you think would I be here if I did not take this seriously?”

Maxie sighed. “You’re hopeless.”

“Thank you,” I grinned.

She sighed. “You want to know something? That was not a compliment. That is something you call an insult.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that,” I said with a lot of sarcasm.

“I don’t even know why I waste my time,” Maxie sighed once again.

Someone suddenly giggled and I turn around to see Mira laughing. “What?” I asked.

“You two are funny,” she answered.

Ethan wrapped his arm around me. I tried to remove it but his grip was strong. “You know, the two of you sound like an old married couple,” he said.

I laughed out loud while Maxie blushed.

Seriously? The two of us? Dating?

I looked around and saw everybody laughing silently.

I looked at Maxie and smiled at her. She gave me a questioning look in response.

I sighed mentally. She may be smart but sometimes I really don’t know. Well, at least we managed to reduce the tension.

“But seriously,” Maxie said. “Of all people. Why would you think I’ll date a moron who doesn’t even know what an insult is?”

“Why would they think I’ll date an insufferable know it all like you?” I asked her with a smirk.

Maxie looked offended. “Jerk,” she spat.

I was about to answer back when Jake placed his hands on our shoulders. “I know that the two of you likes insulting each other but could you leave it for later? We’re here.”