The Ups and Downs of Falling in Love

The author is wheadee

Some guns shoot out bullets, others shoot out cupid's arrows. Seventeen-year-old Haleigh Knight is doing her best not to get hit.

Haleigh Knight has never been a romantic, not after watching her mother ditch two husbands in a row. With her mother freshly working on marriage number three, Haleigh's positive she doesn't believe in love at all. But don't tell that to her best friend, Miranda, who insists Haleigh goes out on at least one date to kick off their senior year. That would be no big deal if Miranda had chosen any other boy besides Haleigh's new next-door neighbor, Axel Walker. Pierced lip and tattooed, Axel is loud, rude and has electrifying mood swings that makes even his parents resent him. He's everything Haleigh should stay away from, and that was all going to plan until one drunken night at a party where Haleigh loses all sense of reason and kisses Axel. She's sure she's lost her mind, and as if that's not humiliating enough, she has no choice but to go out with him due to her deal with Miranda. Haleigh goes on the date hoping it'll shut everyone up about her nonexistent love life, except she doesn't expect to have such a good time, and when Axel asks her out once more she's surprised at her willingness to go. Giving in and agreeing to see him more at first feels like a mistake Haleigh's desperate to correct, but Axel isn't giving up without a fight, and he fights dirty. He's everywhere with his odd way of caring about her issues, and the annoyingly charming banter he offers. The more he tries to win her over, the more Haleigh slowly begins to open up. And against her sanity, she may be doing the one thing she's feared all along: falling in love.