scREECh

I'm minding my own business when it happens. All I'm trying to do is make it to English class on time so that my already poor grade doesn't get poorer by my tardiness, but that isn't a legitimate goal for already straight-A student Tessa Shay, apparently, seeing as she elects to disrupt me by crashing into me and scattering my books on the hallway floor.

"You must be a freshman," I comment in order to give the accident a light-hearted tone, but when I gaze into the narrowed eyes of Tessa Shay, I realize I have fucked up. "Nope, definitely not a freshman."

Tessa doesn't seem to appreciate my humor, and gets straight to the point. "Tell me what you were trying to do by stealing Nat from me."

I bend down to collect my books from the hard and unforgiving tile floor to show her that I am not being confrontational, rather engaging in a casual conversation with an acquaintance. "Thanks to the thirteenth amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, there is no legal way I could ever steal him from you, as he is not property."

Hands on her hips, Tessa scoffs and rolls her eyes. "I can't believe he left me for such a smartass."

"I feel like you're discrediting the fact that Nat and I have a lot in common, too. For example, I would also prefer a smartass over a cheating bitch."

"He doesn't actually love you, you know," she claims, once again in denial about how show stopping my sense of humor actually is, and at this point I am convinced she's just grasping for straws. That is, until I hear what she says next. "You're just therapy to him."

I'm not too quick to trust Tessa on this, considering she has been tainted by the repulsive and influential film of jealousy, but I contemplate the possibility of this situation nonetheless. I keep my composure through it all, though. I can't let Tessa think she inflicted damage on me on any level.

"That's nice, but I have a class to attend, so if you don't mind--" I attempt to push past her, but she is the kind of person to not let someone go until she has said all that she needs to say. I would usually applaud this kind of strength, but not now when it's making me late.

Tessa's eyes drill into mine to drive her point home. "It would be a blessing to all three of us if you had died in the crash." Having knocked the air out of my lungs, I have no time to respond before she spins on her heel and retreats from the scene.

I wonder if I'm allowed to file for a tardy excuse on the grounds of mental distress.

~~~~~

A/N: this chapter was wild from start to finish

~Dakotoe