Complicated Conversation

Rewritten

"Having already revolutionized the teaching of Defense Against the Dark Arts, Dolores Umbridge will, as High Inquisitor, have powers to address the seriously falling standards at Hogwarts School."

Aurora slammed the newspaper down harshly, a hiss escaping her lips in indignation and truly uncaring whether or not she was attracting attention.

"What's this rubbish? 'The seriously falling standards at Hogwarts' What's wrong with the school?" Aurora asked no one in particular, glaring at the Daily Prophet article.

"Stop reading that bloody newspaper, you're starting to look murderous," Ron huffed to her, grabbing the paper and putting it in his bag.

"Fudge talks like Hogwarts is a juvenile detention centre," Hermione commented from her place across Aurora and next to Harry. "And even if there isn't anything wrong with Hogwarts they'll make sure to find something."

"Umbridge is what's bloody wrong with the school," Ron muttered said, shoving his fork into his stack of pancakes and devouring it like he'd been starved all his life. Hermione threw him a disgusted look but knew better than to comment. Aurora felt like she only saw Ron during the meals, but then dismissed that thought when she realized he was always eating which is why she thought so.

Hermione grabbed her own copy of the paper and delved in, burying her nose in it.

Aurora poured herself a cup of coffee, the food on her plate barely touched. For a few days now she'd been craving food she used to have when she lived on her own. The Harpy in her was craving something a little raw, a little bit on edge.

Aurora knew why she was on edge.

The reason was sitting across from her.

The reason, in turn, was glancing at her from under his lashes whenever he could, seeming as lost as she was. The---kisses---happened a few nights ago, the day after she'd stayed in her room and when she'd come out to meet Hermione and the rest, the intimate moment they shared was not mentioned.

Harry's piercing orbs were pinned on her when he thought she didn't notice. He was wrong. Aurora noticed everything. Ever since the thing happened, things between them turned strange. It didn't astonish her that it changed, wasn't that bound to happen?

There was tension, lots of it, and it went unmentioned because Aurora was emotionally constipated and Harry didn't seem to want to acknowledge it like the thing would come alive to eat him if he did.

The Boy Who Lived also seemed like he was going on more sleepless nights, the bags under his eyes became more and more prominent and his anger came out in sudden spurts without anyone seeing it coming. He also acquired the attention span of a goldfish, this bugged Hermione to her bones. Many times he'd gotten scolded for drifting off in class.

Aurora felt vain in thinking his symptoms were because of her, but part of her thought so.

Aurora the Creature had always faced her problems head-on without any hesitation. After what happened five years ago, she got tired of hesitating. Every day after that she looked at what was in her way in the eyes and faced it.

For some reason, in Potter's case, she was stumped. Emotions weren't something Aurora dealt with, they were messy and heavy and far too human for her liking. She couldn't remember the last time she felt indescribable fear or blooming love or anything of the matter. When you were a Harpy, a half-breed, you couldn't afford such luxuries. She knew she cared for her brother, that was the only thing she allowed herself to remember, because that was the only thing that mattered.