Chapter 30

3rd persons POV

The moons glow reflected off the stained glass windows of the castle. No torches were lit and the castle was dark, nobody was awake.

Except Snow.

She lay awake tossing and turning in her bed. Despite the fact it was made from the finest feathers and fabrics, she couldn't get comfortable on her mattress.

She was doing what she does every night. She was picturing her daughter in horrible situations, tied up in the brig of a ship, starving to death, frostbite taking effect on her toes, cheekbones so prominent they could cut a man.

Pictures appeared in her head, getting worse each time she tried to be rid of them.

"Snow?" Her body jumped, feeling the warm hand of her husband on her cold shoulder. "You're going to drive yourself crazy." He told her trying to be as comforting as he could whilst he himself dreamt up nightmares of her condition.

Snow rolled over in bed and faced her husband. Only now does she actually look at him. The blue eyes she fell in love with that we're full of life, they no longer sparkled or lit up the room. The dark circles under his eyes, his clear exhaustion. The smile that soothed her uncontrollable thoughts, no longer there.

"What have I done to you?" It was meant to stay in her head, a thought she never dared to speak. But, against her will, she said it. And she believed herself. It was her fault this had taken so much effect on her husband, she should have been stronger. Held herself together.

But instead, she put the weight of her grief onto her husband, expecting him to carry her through the depression.

"I'm sorry I did this" she said as a single tear fell from her left eye, slowly falling down her cheek. She lifted her hand and touched his cheek. Charming raised his hand and rested it on his wife's wrist, a small way of comforting her.

"You didn't do this." The statement was firm but soft, a combination charming never thought possible. "Whoever took our daughter did this. They're the one responsible for this grief. And when we catch them, we'll show them no mercy." Just like that, Snow's nightmares were no longer a thought. She had to be strong, for her daughter.

She was going to fight.

Suddenly, Snow's eyes hardened. The fight she had as a bandit was back. She sat up in her bed quickly, pulling on the closest clothes should could find. It was a pair of black riding pants and her white shirt with a black long coat.

"What are you doing?" David sat up slowly, confusing clear on his face. "It's the middle of the night, Snow."

As Snow White pulled on her riding boots she turned to look at her husband.

"I'm going to help my daughter." She said sternly.

"But we already sent out our best men and they couldn't find anything-" before he could finish speaking, he was cut off.

"No - you sent them out. Not me. And, sweetie, as much as your men respect and love you, they will do anything to serve their queen." As Snow finished her sentence, she crouched under the bed and pulled out her bow and arrows before slinging them over her back. "I'll be back, I need you to tell everyone else I'm fine." Without another word, Snow ran out the room and found the only lit candle she could before running to the stable.

She mounted her best horse and commanded him to gallop. They sped off into the night, dodging low hanging branches and jumping over fallen logs in the forest.

She rode for what felt like hours, her breath kept hitching in her throat but she swallowed the forming lump and continued.

She'd done enough crying.

Snow White held herself together as she reached the end of the forest where the dirt met the sand. She pulled on the horse's reigns and told him to slow down. His feet soon slowed down until they were walking along the sand.

She dismounted her horse and kept a tight grip on the reigns as she led them down the stony sand.

"There's a cottage down her somewhere. I used to come here sometimes to hide from the Evil Queen." She said to the horse. "David was right, I have driven myself crazy. I'm talking to a damn horse." A small smile appeared as she laughed at the statement.

Snow caught sight of the cottage and went into a jog. Her legs moved her closer and closer to the small cottage. When she finally got to the front door, her fist banged on the door rapidly as she grew impatient waiting for somebody.

"Snow!" The door flew open and revealed an aged woman with wavy grey hair. She had wrinkled eyes and slightly visible frown lines on her forehead. Around her mouth was smile lines, prominent as she beamed at the sweating Snow White in front of her.

"I'm sorry to make this so curt, Veronica, but may I please keep my horse in your stables while I make a trip to the ports?" She rushed as her breath came in heaves.

"Of course you can, my queen." She nodded her head and looked up just in time for the reigns of the horse to be shoved at her.

Before she knew it, Snow White had dissappeared into the rising sun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~