Chapter 18

Emma's POV

The ship was docked, I knew this for sure. We had stopped crashing into violent waves about an hour ago and I had finally managed to settle down comfortably.

Above me up on deck I could hear the entire crew stumbling around drunk. Their footsteps were staggering and dragging along the stained wood. Every minute or so someone would fall into something and make a loud crash.

Their hollers were deafening as they praised their captain on something or other. They were distracted enough that I could use this time to escape.

I looked around the dark brig for anything to pick the lock on my handcuffs. My eyes scanned the room until I saw the remains of an old cable. Everything Neal taught me about locks can rushing back to me as I quickly jammed it into the lock.

I tuned everything out and focussed on the tumblers. I counted them as they clicked and after the final one was done my cuffs fell from my wrists to the ground.

They clattered together and made a piercing sound, but it wasn't heard because of the loud cheering upstairs.

Slowly, I used my remaining energy to push myself to my feet. I hadn't stood up in so long and my legs weren't used to the weight of my body. It took a few minutes to regain my balance before I started my slow ascent up the creaky staircase.

I managed to get to the top deck without being spotted. My legs shivered at the feeling of the cold air biting my showing skin. As my dress was now short after the duel it meant even more of me was open to the harsh winds.

My hair was being whipped in every direction, getting in my eyes which meant everything became blurry shadows.

"Whoever is aboard the vessel best be showing themselves. I know you have the princess and you are going to give her back!" The voice was forceful, not the voice I was used to.

"Give me back my daughter!" Another firm voice shouted. I peered around the mast, seeing the faces I'd waited to see for a month.

And I thought when this moment came, I'd feel nothing but joy. That I'd be overwhelmed with happiness at being back with my family. But all I can think about is how they left me.

They left me to rot in that small cell for a month. They were probably planning more balls and having their royal lunches. They most likely wanted another baby and have probably been making preparations to replace me.

I stood up straight and walked out from behind the post.

"Emma!" Hook shouted, a smile breaking out on his face. He ran towards me, dropping his sword to the ground. When he reached me, I was pulled into a hug.

And all I could think about was how many other women he'd held like this while I was gone, while I was suffering and starving in the dark cell.

David stood behind us and took the cuff of my wrist. As soon as I felt my magic flowing through my veins again I pulled away from Hook. I stepped back to see his face full of confusion.

And in a second my hand was held in front of me, gripping his throat with my magic. Slowly my grip got tighter and hook could no longer breathe.

"Emma! What're you doing?!" David shouted, attracting my attention.

"Why do you care? Do you care about this pirate more than me?!" I screamed. Anger was overwhelming my entire body, it's all I could feel.

"Of course not! Emma we love you, I love you. I just want to help you" he pleaded. His face had softened, and fear was no longer there.

I dropped my hand and released Hook's throat. He gasped for breathe as he rubbed his neck in pain.

Slowly, I walked towards them. After every small step I came closer and closer to the two men who claimed to care for me.

I stood there for a second, starring at both of them. Both had joy on their face, no idea why. But it wouldn't last.

I lunged both of my hands into their chests, pulling out two hearts. One, almost pure red and glowing with good intentions. The other was half black, consumed with dark past acts.

I looked at both of them, a blank expression on my face. And suddenly, I remembered every bit of torture that had been inflicted on me. By the flock, the captain, the crew. Everything.

So I took no second thought before squeezing my hands. Both men cried out in pain at their impending death. I looked at them both one last time. Both of their faces were contorted in pain.

"Swan, please don't do this" Hook begged, his hand gripping his chest. He had tears built up in his waterline. "I love you" he managed to get out. His voice cracked as he realised that these were to be his final moments.

"I don't care."

My hands clenched into fists and both hearts turned to dust, falling around my shoes.

Just as they both fell to the floor and took their final breathe, realisation hit me.

I killed them.

"No. No, no, no!" I shouted, falling to my knees beside the lifeless bodies of my father and the man I love. "I'm sorry" I cried, tears streaming. I couldn't hold back the sobs that left my body. My chest heaved as my body shook.

"Please come back to me."

Suddenly I gasped for breathe, sitting up from the wooden floor.I looked around, seeing I was in the same cell I have been in for weeks.I was still chained to the floor and the cuff was still on my wrist.

It was a dream.

Relief washed over me. I hadn't killed them. I didn't kill my father or my true love.

But a sudden fear sunk in.

If I was possible of committing such a dark and unspeakable act in a dream, what would happen in real life. I don't want to hurt anybody, but what if there's still some lingering side effects from being The Dark One.

The last thing I would want to do would be to risk anyone else's safety because I can't control myself.

I need to forget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~