Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I stirred awake slowly, not wanting to wake up.  I groaned, and rubbed my eyes lazily. I rolled and fell on the floor, and groaned some more. My alarm clock was still droning on and on and I reached up with my hand and felt around on my bedside table. I was knocking things off but my alarm clock wasn’t there. I squinted enough to check the table. I couldn’t see it, but I could hear it.

“Looking for this?” my step father said from behind me. I struggled to turn round, but managed to see his fatty outline in the dim light. I huffed, and pulled myself up using my bed as a support. I turned to face him but kept my distance.

“Give me the clock and get out.” I said firmly, but he just smiled at me cruelly. He twirled the clock in his hand, and juggled it from palm to palm.

“It will cost you to have it back.” He said, snarling on the word cost.

“Then keep it. I will pay you nothing.” I went to push past him, but he held his arm in my way.

“Roni, Roni, Roni,” he said, shaking his head and chuckling to himself, “You know that’s not how this works.” He took a step towards me, and I saw the flicker of evil in his eye. I stood my ground.

“Fine then, name your price.” He closed his eyes, as if imagining it.

“Don’t put your wardrobe in front of your door tonight. I might want to fool around before your mother gets home.” I growled, clenching my fists.

“No deal.” I hissed, and tried to step past him again, shoving his arm out the way when he tried to stop me. I stormed off towards the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw my clothes for that day already in the bathroom, so I didn’t have to go back to my room in my towel. I glanced at the calendar that sat on the sink. I looked at the date circled in red. My birthday. It was only a week away. A week until I was legally allowed to live on my own. I had already sorted out a place to live, not too far from my mother but far enough away so that pig faced step dad wouldn’t bother to come in and watch me sleep.

“One more week.” I whispered and felt myself relax. I brushed my teeth, quickly combed my hair and got dressed, and sprinted down stairs. My mother was in the kitchen, as usual. I tried not to notice the black eye that she had or the finger bruises on her arms.

“Morning, Roni.” She said. Her voice was quiet, and her eyes sad, and unsmiling unlike the rest of her face. She looked so tired.

“Morning.” I said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. The television set started to blare and I sighed. My mother seemed to relax a little more than she should have, but hid it well.

“Do you have any plans for the weekend?” she asked, pouring me a cup of coffee. I shrugged.

“Just the usual: homework Saturday, training Sunday, school Monday.”

“You know, I’ve never said this, but I’m proud that you are doing reservist work. I really am.” I smiled.

“Thanks mum,” I looked at the clock. 6:30. I drained my coffee and stood up, “I’ve got to go. See you tonight.” I gave her another peak on the cheek and raced out the door, slinging my bag over my shoulder and sprinted down the road and had to leap onto my bus, that again didn’t stop. I took my seat and held on for dear life.

The first thing I saw when I walked into school was a white car. It was new and shiny, very expensive. But the plates weren’t local. From the looks of them, they were from California. I grunted my disapproval. Celebrities make millions of dollars a day and they wouldn’t even consider sharing anything they make with the rest of the world. Scott stood there waiting for me at the entrance like he always did. He gestured his head towards the car.