Dorm Room.

Idris Elba as uncle Monday
Slow and Steady - Of Monsters and Men

_____________
"I will not be afraid because the Lord is with me" I exhaled

"Vel, this is the twentieth time you quoted that verse. You need to believe the words, not just repeat them" Uncle Monday spoke

Let me explain my current situation. I was scared.
Scared that my roommate will be a terrible person.
Scared that I'll get treated horribly during classes.
Scared that I'll let my parents down.
Scared that I'll fail as a Christian.
Scared that life would take an unexpected turn and I'll end up hating who I eventually became.
The fear was crippling. Not my legs, but my mind.

I was holding the key to my dorm room and I just couldn't gather the courage to open it.
Which is why I thought repeatedly quoting the Bible verse known to calm hyper active nerves down.

I inhaled and exhaled again, very slowly this time.
"Okay, I can do this" I said inserting the keys dramatically.

At this point I was already getting strange looks from passers by. And a couple of girls giggling. But I highly doubt they found my cowardice funny. Did they?

Oh! Now I get it! It was my uncle. They were trying to get his attention. Even though my uncle was in his mid fourties, he still looked very good for his age. Although, I didn't understand why college girls would be attracted to him. Well, nice try girls, he has three kids and a wife.

"Vel, Open the door or I will open it myself!" my uncle said in a very strict tone

Now I knew I had to open it for sure. My uncle was hardly ever strict. Heck! He hardly ever took anything seriously. One of the reasons I adored him was the fact that he was very easy going. A breath of fresh air from my law enforcing mother.

I really didn't know what I expected to see after opening the room. Maybe a nice looking girl perched on her bed, reading a book or mean looking girl listening to heavy metal music, loud enough that my uncle and I could hear.

I turned the lock and to my surprise, the room was empty. I mean empty in the sense that there was no human currently in the room.
The room looked pretty decent. There were two dorm sized bed on each side of the wall. Two desks, two wardrobes and a bathroom.

By the looks of things, It was obvious my bed was the one to my right. The space to my left looked like someone already occupied it. The bed sheets were an obnoxious shade of green. Ew, it looked like a ruminant animals puke. The desk had books arranged in a poorly organized manner and there was a huge poster of a very shirtless Ryan gosling.

After 2 hours of my uncle and I setting my side of the room up, ignoring the stares Ryan Goslings paper self was giving us and random college advice from my uncle, he finally called it a day and left.

After walking Uncle Monday to his car and waving him goodbye with the promise of frequent calls. I made my way back to my room and plopped myself on the way too small bed. I hated small beds, I couldn't roll else I'll find myself on the floor. Ugh, the worst.

When I finally settled I snuggled into the comforter and decided to FaceTime my friend from back home. I had missed her. Way too much. After the fifth ring, I figured she was probably busy.

Great, three hours into college and I was bored out of my mind.
Wait a minute, I realized that I hadn't said a prayer. What I was taught was that when you get something new or begin a new journey, you have a conversation with God telling him to go before you and guide you.

Halfway into my prayer I heard the door to my room open. I resisted the urge to look back. Looking back was pointless. God was far more important than unreliable humans besides, that was probably my roommate which I'd still get to see eventually.

"Emily's roommate is a most likely Christian" an unknown feminine voice says with a hint of laughter

"Goodness, this is going to be hilarious" another unfamiliar feminine voice says

_________
Thoughts, comments and votessss💞💞
S/O to my friendddddd acdcshock for the love and support. Gotchyou boo💝💝
Thanks guys
Toyosii.