Mama Africa.

Hey guysss! I'm sorry I haven't been able to update. My phone broke and well, after I got it fixed I just became lazy 😳😳
But yeah, I'm back and I'm better.
Toyosi💜
_____________

"This child, so if I didn't call to check up on you, you would not remember that you have parents eh?" my mums louder-than-a-boombox voice echoed through my phones speaker.

Meet Iya Revelation (AN : Iya means mother. In Nigeria, we call mothers by their first child's name) aka Mrs Thompson. A wonderful, beautiful and loving mother. Would give up anything for her daughter, Unnecessarily dramatic, typical African mother and does not play with her Jesus.

This is the exact reason I had been avoiding this call. I knew this woman like I knew the back of my hand. Even if I had called, she would've accused me of something else.

She probably would've said I left her dirty clothes and ran away to America (which I actually did, not intentionally though. I'm a good kid) or that I didn't want to call because I've gotten tired of her trouble. Partially true.

I sighed "Mum, I'm sorry I haven't called you in a while. I've been busy bonding with Ewa and Toby. And I told you I'm in the Car with Uncle Monday, we're on our way to my school" I explained slowly

My mum always complained about my tendency to rush my words. Her exact words were
"Vel, all these words spewing out of your mouth are too much for my small brain. I'm too young for my brain to pack up"
Yes, she has always been overdramatic.

"It's okay my dear, just make sure you call often so we can know how school is treating you okay?" she asked in a much calmer voice

I completely understood where she was coming from.
Her only child was a 30 hour flight away from her. The time difference didn't make things much easier.
She just wanted to know that she didn't loose her child to the world.

"Mum, I promise I'll call everyday okay?
And I know what you're thinking. I will be a good girl, I'll study and get good grades, I'll attend church and get involved with Christian activities and I won't get involved with the wrong set of people. Have Faith in me please" I pleaded with her.

I meant each word I said to her. I was aware of how much money my parents were spending just to make sure I got quality education. The economy back at home was not helping matters.

"Okay dear, can I speak to your uncle?" my mum asked and I was more that glad she did because even though I Loved her, she could be a bit overbearing.

"Iya Vel, you're on speaker, I can hear you" My uncle replied her without taking his eyes off of the steering wheel. At this point, I knew their conversation would take eternity to end so I tuned them out.

During the remainder of the ride my mind wandered off to La La land. I kept on thinking of worst case scenarios. Like my roommate being 'The type of kid your parents warned you about' and getting forcing me into doing drugs.

With all of my wild wild thoughts I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be an ungrateful child.
I wanted to make my parents proud and I silently asked God to make it possible.

____________

Very short chapter, I'm sorry.
Please vote, comments and suggestions.
Thank you
Toyosi💞💞💞💞