::Chapter 7:: Everything Changes

Start from the beginning

Only realising now, despite the fact that he had travelled with Arthur for little over a day. He knew nothing about how his other brother's life had changed in the decade. "What about Art? Much changed with him?"

"Some things will never change, no matter how much the ladies try to convince him. I'm not certain he's aware of what girls are." Robert's voice was affectionate, almost amused as he spoke.

Perhaps it's for the best. It wasn't Charlie's intention to sound morbid, and he'd never have said it aloud considering his brother now had a family of his own to think about. War is coming, he might not have the chance to see his kids grow up.

A lump rose to the back of his throat at this idea, an urge grew to hug his brother again, but he didn't give in to it. No matter how bad it hurt, he wasn't going to show his brother the strength of the pain. Both emotional and physical.

Silence spread between them again, but desperate to keep his brother here and talking. Not wanting to be left alone in the darkness again to stew. He continued as quickly as he could before Robert made a move to leave.

"How's Vi?"

Violet was the third born child to the King and Queen, as well as their only daughter.

"You can ask her yourself, she should be back by morning, tomorrow evening at the most. She went south to negotiate with some troublesome nobles."

"Still the silver tongue then?" Charlie asked, a slight smile slipping onto his lips.

"I'm pretty sure we could cut her tongue off, and she'd still be able to talk the pelt off a cat."

Again the quiet fell between the two brothers, and Charlie sighed. Preparing how he was going to say goodbye, without becoming too emotional. His lips had all but said the words when Robert had suddenly interrupted him.

"I wasn't going to ask this, as it didn't seem like the best idea..." Robert began after a moment of silence. "A few of us are going to the square to welcome Arthur back, he's been gone a while. Do you want to come."

Part of him was desperate to say yes, to agree immediately. To both get out of the hellish cell and to see the people he had said his final goodbyes to a long time. Yet he couldn't let his head rule his heart. No matter how bad he wanted to for once.

For the better part of a decade he had been letting his instincts rule his head and heart, not by choice. Now he had somewhat of a will in the matter, he wasn't going to let anyone suffer from the damage.

Charlie simply raised his hands, showing the tight bands of silver wrapped around his wrists. "Even if I wanted to, I don't think it's going to happen any time..." He held his hands up in defeat, a sigh coming from his throat.

He wasn't able to finish his sentence, before Robert removed the dagger from the sheath on his belt and struck clean through the bindings. Shattering it immediately, and freeing Charlie once again.

"Thanks, but it doesn't change much. It's not a good idea for anyone," he insisted. "Especially not for your wife and mother of your child." Charlie was all too aware how much of a low blow that was, but if it worked to get his brother off his back. That was what he was happy to resort to.

"Evie is capable of taking care of herself, child or not." The growl echoed across the cell, sending a shiver down Charlie's spine, but he forced himself to stand strong in spite of it. Robert didn't want to give in that easily, he shook his head. "There'll be a few of us, and at the first sight of trouble we'll get the hell out of there. Promise."

Unsure of whether Robert had simply lost his mind, or didn't understand how dangerous the situation could become. Charlie shook his head firmly. "Seriously Robert, please. It wont end well."

"You'll get to see everyone again, Arthur, Evie. We're all going to be there, all the people from the old days. The good old days."

Charlie and Robert seemed to see the old days very differently.

"We'll make sure nothing bad happens," Robert seemed genuinely upset that Charlie was refusing to come. "Evie will be so happy to see you again."

Sighing heavily, knowing he would probably live to regret this. What's the worst that could happen, they know how to keep an eye on me. It's not a battle zone.

At last Charlie nodded his head with a shrug, "Fine. But there's no way I'm going to be drinking, and only for a couple of hours."

Robert nodded, smiling now he knew that he had managed to get his way. "Of course. You have my word." He promised.

Pulling himself away from the wall, Charlie nodded for Robert to lead the way. And once again, Charlie was out in the world, in freedom. How long it would last this time, there was no way of telling.