::Chapter 7:: Everything Changes

Start from the beginning

Despite himself, Robert smiled a little as well. Though it wasn't the same one Charlie remembered, it brought light to the older man's face. His eyes lit up even in the darkness of the cell.

It was a face, that despite a decade's difference between them, Charlie recognised it.

He hadn't recognised anything in a long time.

"Like what?" he asked after a moment, eager for information. No matter how bad it might hurt.

Something sparked in his gaze, as though he suddenly remembered something. "I have a daughter!"

"You'll do well to remember that in the future," Charlie told him chuckling. Using humour as a means to replace the astonishment building up inside. It's been ten years, he told himself. Yet he still found it hard to believe the difference. "With who? Anyone I know?"

Robert paled, every drop of colour draining from him in one swift motion. Like he'd been painted white. "You... could say that."

His eyes narrowed a shade, more with curiosity then anything else. "Who's the lucky lady?"

The guilt on Robert's face was palpable, a blind man could have sensed it. "Evie."

Years ago the sound of that name would have made Charlie flinch, but it didn't. He only smiled, it was a pained smile but a genuine one.

But it was the look in Robert's eyes which concerned him.

"I'm sorry."

Charlie hadn't expected that to be his response, "Are you happy?"

Apparently Robert was equally surprised by Charlie's reply. "She was yours first."

Snorting at this, "Have you told her that? Because clearly you're not in any position to have further kids if you have."

"Very true," Robert said with an affectionate sigh. "I love her."

He forced himself to his feet, getting as close to his brother as he could with the extent of his chains. He placed his hand on his brother's shoulder, entirely honest as he spoke. "Then I couldn't be happier for you."

For a moment no one spoke, Robert closed the distance between them and took his brother in his arms. Hugging him tight in the first proper human contact that Charlie had had in years. He pressed closer, returning the embrace before they parted.

"Her name is Lyra," Robert said after a moment. "You'll have to meet her sometime."

Charlie's heart dropped at this as he realised, that such would never be a possibility. He could never put a child of his own flesh and blood at risk. He would never forgive himself if something were to happen.

"Sure," Charlie answered. Not wanting to ruin the happiness of his brother with the hard truth.

Leaning against the wall once again, Charlie thought for a moment. Searching for more questions, not wanting his brother to leave just yet. "Are you two married?"

"It will have been 6 years in October," Robert replied.

"You got old, Rob." Charlie tried to mask his sense of sadness with a laugh, but the pain was still there. He had missed a lot. I cant stay around long enough to change that. Charlie told himself firmly. "I never thought you of all people would settle down."

Robert simply shrugged, unoffended by what Charlie had insinuated, they both knew it to be the truth. "Things change."

"Tell me about it." Almost nothing has changed for me in a decade, I'm still the same nutter. He didn't say it out loud for both their sakes.