nineteen

lea | alec

lea | alec

ADRIENNE WALKER PULLS her daughter into a bone-crushing hug, smiling with puddles of affection swinging her back. "I missed you, Lea," she says.

Lea removes from her hold, just so she could look at her mother's face - she always thought her mother was beautiful, but with a string of happiness tugging at her lips, she wishes that smile would remain on her face, the smile that had once been destroyed but finally has been revived back.

"I missed you too, Mom," she adds, a smile lingering on her lips. "How have you been?"

"I've been great, darling. How have you been?" her mother asks, her voice laced with affection. "I cannot wait to hear your stories. It's been so long, honey."

"I cannot wait to hear your story. Benjamin sounds so cool. I'm so happy for you, Mom."

"He is cool," her mother smiles. "He's other things too," she flutters her eyes dreamily as though she were lost in a reverie. "He's sweet, kind, romantic and he's a great lover."

"Mom!" Lea squeals. "Those are unimportant to me," she says, a hint of color painting her cheeks.

"Kidding, Lea," her mother chuckles. "He'll be home in a few minutes and I cannot wait for you guys to meet," she gushes.

Lea watches the smile her mother seemed to carry the whole time as she spoke her new boyfriend. Her eyes sparkled like the stars and a wave of unbound happiness flushes through Lea's heart realizing that her mother looked happy in a long time.

"I cannot wait for us to meet too," she smiles, meaning it.

Her mother sits on the couch, Lea sitting on the floor in front of her such that her mom is braiding her hair, as in the traditional mother-daughter bonding method. They talk about their lives, telling each other how much their lives have changed. Lea talks about the university, how it is a healthy combination of excitement and recuperation and her mother talks about her work where she served as a lawyer.

She also talks about Benjamin, how they met and how sweet he was from the beginning - he simply made things better for her. She was running late to work one day and whilst carrying a huge burden of a headache, being a coffee-addict like her daughter herself, she walked into the nearby coffee shop where Benjamin accidentally bumped into her, pouring all of his drink on her newly pressed suit. She was pissed for that matter, but he proposed to take her out on a date as an apology - which actually sounded like a lame plan to impress a woman but, it wasn't like she wasn't thrilled. She was enthralled.