4. The Original Salvatore Brothers

-----------

-----------

Radiohead - I Promise

"I won't run away no more, I promise
Even when I get bored, I promise."

MELANIE WAS WEARING HER PASTEL BLUE DRESS THAT Holden could still remember so well. She had white gloves on her hands and he wondered why he was suddenly next to her.

Wearing 1860's clothing and holding her hand as they walked through the garden.

Everything seemed like a dream and he liked it a little too much to wake up. "Why am I here all of a sudden?" he asked her softly and Melanie smiled at him.

They stopped next to a willow tree that they made love under for the first time on her birthday evening. "Just kiss me already," she whispered her lips close to his.

Holden didn't hesitate as he kissed her roughly, having missed the taste of her lips. He then touched her hair but instead felt something weird.

He pulled away and saw her skeleton. Her hair turned to ashes and he pushed her away from him with a terrified face. "You're not real," he mused realizing and then woke up.

He jolted up in his bed and saw Damon sitting on a chair near the bed while holding Melanie's picture. "Phew!" Damon exclaimed then laughed. "It was hard getting in that head of yours. Unlike our baby brother, you do muster some strength..."

"So is that it?" Holden questioned standing up and taking the picture out of Damon's hands. "You'll come here and haunt me with bad dreams?"

Damon just shrugged then smirked. "I thought they were good dreams. I thought you'd be willing to see her once again."

When Holden didn't answer, Damon rolled his eyes then stood up. "I want you to loosen up a little. Join me. At least you know how to control yourself. Let's play with these people, huh?"

Holden let out a laugh and Damon raised his eyebrows in confusion. "The problem is that you find joy in hurting people. I don't, Stefan doesn't. That's why you're pissed..." he told Damon, who didn't react in any way.

"Who says it's about killing people?" Damon questioned him curiously. "I already covered my tracks."

"What do you mean?" Holden asked turning back to his older brother, who held a secretive smirk. "Don't play with me now, Damon. Just tell me!"

Holden hated how secretive Damon could be, and knew that none of his motives were any good. "They caught the culprit. A mountain lion that's responsible for the killings."