TOM WAS A DEVON

CARTER^^^

CARTER^^^

Devon sat in her usual seat next to the window, in last period English. Her head was sore and could hardly keep her eyes open. The burning hunger in the pit of her stomach was driving her mad. She had already eaten her sandwich and the bag of sugary lollies with Carter, Aaron and Tom, that they had gotten from the milk bar across the road from the school.

Devon was never proud of her lifestyle, but she couldn't help but feel proud of Tom. As much as she would deny it if she was ever asked, he had impressed her. When they had spoken on the bus, Tom said that he moved here because he started playing up over in Sydney. Now she knew what he had meant.

Tom was a Devon.

She came to the conclusion that they were both the same, and his mother must have been aware and so she moved him here, to a different state, to change him.

Devon nudged Carter to gain her attention. Carter's bloodshot eyes looked up at her from her textbook. "Yeah, what?"

"Tom is like us," Devon spoke in a loud, intoxicated whisper.

"Yeah, no shit," Carter rolled her eyes at Devon's obvious statement. "He just smashed out one of Aaron's fat ass Js."

"I think we should tell him not to go to Jackson's party," she spoke in a distant voice.

Carter face scrunched up in condescending confusion. "What the fuck? Why? You just said he's like us. It'll be fun."

Devon didn't reply. No matter how stoned or wasted she was, she knew she couldn't tell her she was worried about him. That would mean telling Carter the things he had told her, and Devon would hate it if Tom told people what she had said on the bus.

She always had nightmares about her dad finding out she did drugs. Terry knowing was bad enough.

"Hey," Carter spoke carefully. "My dad told me you had a little meltdown last night. Are you okay?"

Devon's heart sank. That was the last thing she wanted to talk about. "I'm fine," she needed to change the convocation. "I was just pretty cooked. I finished of the Speed from last weekend."

Carter laughed an ugly giggle. "Fuck yes. You do some dumb shit, Dev. Why would you visit you're mum when you're on shit?"

I didn't, she felt like saying. I got fucked up afterwards because of the meltdown. But I can't tell you that because then you won't buy me MDMA for Jackson's party.

Devon felt stupid for caring more about getting wasted at a party, than her friend's concern for her wellbeing.

She also felt stupid because she could push Tom out of her mind. She really wanted to uninvited him. Devon already fucked up her life, but Tom just got his back on track. Could she really take that away from him?

Devon's leg vibrated from the phone in the pocked of her green and white school dress. It was a text from an unknown number.

Oi Oi, its Tom. Aaron gave me your number. What's the address of the party?

"Fuck," she mumbled to herself before reluctantly texting him back the address.