TERRY & SPEED

TERRY^^^

TERRY^^^

It was past midnight and Carter's dad had driven Devon and her father home. He'd pulled Devon aside as her father walked into the house, and told her to call him if she needed anything. He was too kind to their family. Like an angel looking over their lives. Good people like him are hard to come across.

Devon's father fell asleep on the couch before getting a chance to open the can of beer in his hand. Devon took his shoes off and covered him with a blanket from on the arm chair next to the couch. She took the can from his hand and walked upstairs to her room. She pulled open the drawer next to her bed and took out her tobacco pouch and a baggy half full with a chalky white powder.

She went outside on her little balcony with the pouch and baggy as well as her dads beer can. Papers and filters appeared on the table from her pocket, and she began to roll. Before licking the paper to seal the cigarette, she opened the baggy and sprinkled a layer of the white substance over the tobacco. Devon opened the beer and took a sip before taking a drag of the drugged cigarette.

She jumped almost a foot high when the sliding door opened behind her. She hid the cigarette behind her leg, thinking it was her dad that had invaded her privacy. It was only her older brother Terry.

Sighing with both relief and annoyance, Devon shot a look and her brother. "What the fuck are you doing here?" She took another shaken drag.

"I heard you come home and I'm out of baccy," He said as he sat down on the other stool at the little veranda table. "Roll me a dart, Dev."

"Do it yourself," she tossed the pouch at him. As she slyly pulled the baggy off the table so he wouldn't see that she was smoking Speed.

Terry was pleased when he saw the pouch. "Ooh, Port Royal. How long did you save up for to buy this?"

Devon knew he was mocking her for losing her job at a fast-food store for getting into an argument with the manager. She had been the only one in the business to stand up for the rights of the workers. After the store was bought buy new Australians from India, who hardly spoke English, everyone was worked to their limits, constantly being insulted and denied food or toilet breaks.

If Terry had worked there, there was no way he'd have handled the situation any better than Devon had. "Fuck you," she cursed at him. "I have a new job and it pays better."

That intrigued him, his head snapped up as he was about to light his cigarette. "Really? How'd you get a job that quickly after getting fired? Where'd you work?" His small bombard of questions amused her.

"I work at the ice-cream store on the corner," Devon spoke with her head high, knowing Terry would eat her word with resentment being the not so great brother he was. "And everyone around here knows that the Indian is as asshole. Plus Carter's dad knows the family that runs the ice-cream shop."

Terry leaned back with his now-lit fag between his fingers, and took a long comical mouthful of their father's beer. "Well," he spoke, "so first, you're racist. Then you brag about how someone else got you a job instead of getting one yourself."

Terry went from mocking Devon to looking her directly in the eyes as he spoke his lecture.

Taken aback, but not surprised, Devon's first instinct, as it always has been when talking to her elder brother, was to defend herself. "You know you're an asshole, right?" She snapped at him. "What have I ever done to you? You completely ruined my childhood then moved out, and just as I began to gain a little buoyancy in my life you decide to come back and put me down all over again. Like you didn't do it enough before you left. And I wasn't being racist. I was just stating the he's Indian and he's an asshole. Not that he's an asshole because he's Indian. Gosh, why can't you ever have my back?"

Terry soaked in all that Devon had said, and shot it back in her face, like he'd come to her balcony ready for battle. "Forget the fucking racist thing. I'm just pissed off that you've always had everything handed to you on a silver platter. You were practically born a golden child. Everything in my life, I've had to fight for it. Mum and dad's attention was all on you the moment you were born, and I was pushed aside. I left, because I wasn't happy here. I could never make friend's the way you could and I could never be the son mum and dad wanted," a tear slipped from his eye, but he kept ranting to his little sister that he'd envied all those years.

"The only time I ever got any attention was if I fucked up, so I kept fucking up. But you, all you had to do was look at them and you got what you wanted. I'm jealous of you, Devon, but you don't see that because I'm just the asshole brother." Terry took another shaky drag before wiping him eyes and keeping them fixed on the tree next to the balcony, avoiding contact with his sister. "That's why I never have your back."

Devon was unsure if she was shaking from what her brother had said, or the drugs were kicking in.

Her eyes was focusing on little things in her vision, like looking through a hole in a frosted glass window, rather than focusing on the whole picture. Her shakes eased into the slow rhythm of her heart beat and her breaths became quiet and balanced.

There was so much she wanted to say back to him. That their parents had not treated her any better than him. That he was only looked down on because of how fowl of a child he was and how much he had toyed with the family, like it was his personal project to destroy the household.

Devon knew better than to open her mouth in the state she was in, Terry would run strait to their father the moment he realised she was on something. She wanted so badly to recall how he'd been the reason for their mother's miscarriage nine years earlier.

"You're such a liar," she spoke, careful to sound as sober as possible. His head snapped to her in shock.

"You're joking right? That's how I feel, why would I lie about it?"

Devon swallowed. "Not about that. You haven't ran out of tobacco. You said you ran out of tobacco."

Terry rolled his eyes and took his last drag before butting it out in an old empty soda can that Devon used for an ashtray. "Not even going to deny that. Thanks though, for the baccy." He went to walk back inside, but before he closed the slide door, he popped his head back out. "By the way, I know you're on something. You might want to learn to hide it a bit better."

Devon was left alone with her thoughts and her high.