22. An urgent matter

Start from the beginning

Wait! Don't think that I am taking this date seriously. I just thought that Forth isn't like those I'd dated with. I thought of doing it right since he is Forth...

...

Do you get what I mean? It's...

...

Well...

...

Fuck! Just nevermind it! It got cancelled, anyway!

Since I am already dressed up, I decided to just knock on Kit's apartment door to ask him out. Weekends should be celebrated outside the four corners of our apartments although there are workloads of shits that we have to deal on. I guess, it could wait as I am really dying to get out.

I am expecting that Kit will complain when I asked him out. I was also ready to drag him no matter what happens. However, to my surprise, he never complains nor nags at my devil-may-care attitude. He agrees of coming out with me without making a fuss.

Is the sun risen at the west? I think, the world is ending.

"There is something I have to buy, that's why I'll come with you," Kit explains.

I can't still believe it as I give him an skeptical look. He just rolls his eyes then pulls me where my car parks. I usually drive when we are going out.

We are both silent while I am driving. Another unusual thing. I couldn't remember if there was a time we got so quite like this every time we were together. Even when we were reviewing, none of us could take a minute or so without uttering a word.

This is the first time.

And I am wondering why.

I look at Kit sideways. He seems so lost of his own thoughts that he doesn't even notice the way I am glancing at him. He's just fidgeting at the choco-coated wafer on his hands. Once we're jammed in traffic, I jerk the kitkat from his hands which instantly snaps him out of his trance, then irritatingly turns at me.

"Give me that!" he exclaims.

He tries to get it from me. I draw it away.

"It's your favorite snack back in high school. But since you're on a diet you stopped eating it. When did you start eating it again? I thought, you're still on a diet?" I pry.

"I am no longer on a diet! I don't care if I get fat again."

"Really? Last month you said you have to keep your weight, that's why you didn't come with us when we eat at a buffet."

"Damn it, Beam?! Why are you so nosy?"

"Because I am a curiousss person. So, why a change of mind? Did someone tell you that it's okay to eat whatever you want because he doesn't mind you getting fat?"

He's suddenly frozen. I grin as I think I have hit the jackpot.

Kit just leans back on his seat, then crosses his arms on his chest while looking at the window. I have no idea if he's watching the other cars from their slow progress just like us, or he's staring at nothingness just I like I usually do these past days.

"Beam..." he calls after a few minutes of silence, still looking out. "What did you feel when Forth started to court you?"

"..........."

"Don't you feel weird or something?"

"Why? Getting jealous that Forth is courting me instead of you?" I tease though I am perfectly aware that it's not what he meant by those questions. I just... couldn't answer him.