Chapter 53: Replaceable, Irreplaceable

After Feng left to court early in the morning, I had planned on accompanying grandmother the whole day. While I was preparing tea, a eunuch came to Wang Mansion with an invitation from the empress. I noticed that grandmother wasn't surprise by the sudden invitation. Instead, she asked Li Xia to help me change into appropriate attire.

When I sat in the large carriage with grandmother, I felt as if I was going to a banquet. The blue-green dress I wore was long with layers of silk and ribbons. Li Xia spent quite some time with my hair – carefully choosing every accessory. Even while I sat in the carriage, the weight of the dress and accessories I had on was heavy. I had asked if I was overdress. Grandmother assured me that I was modest compare to other women in the court. Since I never been to the palace court, I had to take grandmother's word as is.

I've only been to the palace twice. The first was when I was in my bridal dress. The second was when I had called in for the contest with the foreign princes. Both times, I never truly saw the palace grounds. Now, walking beside grandmother through the palace, I was able to see the grand sight of the buildings and gardens.

"Greetings to the empress"

The eunuch guided us to a water garden where the Empress sat waiting. The refine, majestic woman in gold and silver sat underneath the golden pavilion with a green jade Zheng harp on the table in front of her. Going to our knees, we gave her respect. The Empress smiled and allowed us a seat at the table.

"Wei Lan, I'm glad to see you're well" The empress smiled at me. "Your sudden disappearance caused quite an uproar"

"Wei Lan has cause_"

"Do not apologize for something you have no control over"

I didn't say anything else. The empress sighed softly before lifted a hand. Her head eunuch brought over the tray that held a blue jade bracelet. I had been surprised because it had looked exactly like the one I've lost – the same blue jade given to me on my wedding day. Even now, I still wore the red jade on my left wrist.

"I heard that your blue jade was found broken by the river" The empress smiled at me. "Your red jade cannot be without a pair"

Before I could respond, the empress had already slid the bracelet onto my right wrist.

"Your majesty, this_"

"Wei Lan, remember that a jade can always be replace, but a person, once lost, can never be replace"

My eyes lifted from the blue jade to look at the empress.

"Wang Feng is an important figure - for the emperor, for the future emperor. Wang Feng is a person that cannot be lost or be replaced"

I am the jade that could be replaced if broken. I understood this. Looking at the jade bracelets on my wrists, the weight of them felt like chains.

"Are you offended by my words?"

The empress was studying my every expression.

"Wei Lan does not dare..."

"You do not dare, but you are offended" The empress laughed softly.

"Wei Lan is not offended"

"Then I am glad... Princess Wei Lan is indeed a bright young woman"

I bowed my head at the compliment.

"The emperor once told me that Princess Wei Lan has a lovely voice" The empress suddenly changed the subject. "I am a lover of music and arts, so it had made me curious when the emperor praises someone... Wei Lan, you've been quite a legend in the palace"

My look of surprise made her laugh.

"You look so surprise. Do you not know?"

"Your majesty, Wei Lan is from a humble background. She would not notice such matters"

"Yes... You are right Elder Wang" The empress smiles soften. "Wei Lan was raised by Master Fa. I almost forgot that fact"

I couldn't follow grandmother and the empress conversation. It had surprised me when the empress' expression went soft at the mention of my grandfather.

"Not many people know this, but your grandfather is my older maternal cousin"

My expression made her laugh once more.

"When we were younger, I would call him, He-ge... He-ge was 6 years older, but he acted more like my father than an older brother..."

I could see the empress fondness for grandfather - the same feeling I share for Min.

"Your grandfather does not mention me, do you know why?"

The empress smiles held sadness.

"He didn't want his mei-mei to marry into the palace... He-ge, despite his intelligence and skills, he does not like politics. He never want the people he loves to be involve in this chaotic world"

I understood because Min had told me the same thing.

"Did he not try to stop your engagement with Wang Feng?" The empress suddenly teased. "The 2 years was an obvious ploy to separate you two"

Elder Wang snorted - since she saw through the plan in the beginning. The empress laughs softly while I was a bit stunned by what I'm hearing.

"Wei Lan... what I said earlier, it is not to offend you. We are connected by blood after all... If Wei Lan is a jade, this empress is a jade as well..."

I didn't know what to say or how to respond to the empress statement. Without words, the empress smiles softly and turned to Zheng harp. I watched as her fingers gracefully touched the strings. At the first struck of the chord, I knew the empress was a master Zheng musician. When I realized that the melody she was playing was the same one I had once performed at the spring competition, I was surprised. How does she know the song that Min and I created together? Looking at the empress and seeing her smiles, I could only comply with her unspoken request. I will accompany her.

The Sun is rising
The clouds are wandering, aimlessly
Copper color stretch through the sky
Who pity the bird, when it's the closest
Who loves gems, when it's the furthest
Called for the wanderer
His eyes on adventure
Called for the adventurer
Her hair against the wind
Play about the early days
Ancient trails, rain drenched with sunlight beams
Sun goes down
The lowering clouds wandering endlessly

Meanwhile, a crowd was gathering...

Many palace eunuchs and maids have gathered at the corridor to watch the lovely scene of the empress playing her jade Zheng harp while the young princess accompanied her with a song. The song had carried through the garden and beyond the tall walls. In that moment, the emperor and a group of his officials was passing by when they heard the sweet melody. The general, who stood to the right of the emperor, was the first to recognize the sweet voice. When he quickly took off, everyone was surprised. The amused emperor followed after.

The general rushed through the corridors without noticing the prime minister with his daughter and son passing by. The young woman had a beautiful smile when saw the general. Her smiles disappeared when she realized his eyes were not on her. The general was being lured by the distant melody.

Once they entered the garden, the voice became clear. Sitting under the pavilion with the sunlight shining gently against her, a young woman gazed up at the sky beyond the garden wall. Dimples on her cheeks as she sang – her eyes closed to feel the gentle wind around her.

Until she sang the last note, her eyes opened to see the general standing at a distance. She was unaware how captivating she was. Under the sunlight, her eyes were lighter – breeze caress her hair softly – her layered blue-green dress fluttered gently as she stood. The general felt troubled. His heart beat fiercely, possessively, and madly. His phoenix – the general wanted to place her in a golden cage and hide her so that one could ever take her. No one but him should ever see her and love her – his Lan.