Chapter 5: Still Remember

I had thought to live peacefully until I overheard Uncle Zedong talking to grandfather about Wang Feng. 

Wang Feng had been gravely injured after protecting the crown prince from an attack. While the general and his troop managed to kill every last traitors, he, himself was stabbed. I had entering the main hall with grandfather's cup of tea before the tray fell from my hands. The shattered cup startled both men.

"I_ Is he well?" I rushed to my uncle and grabbed hold of his arm. "Uncle Zedong, is Wang Feng_"

"He has returned to the capital. The royal doctors have stabilized his wound"

"Th_ Then he will live?" I frantically asked.

"Uncle is not completely certain... it's been 2 days since_"

"But he can't die!" I panicked; my heart racing.

"Wei Lan" Grandfather took hold of my shaking cold hands. "Child, Wang Feng is a strong man, he will be well. Calm your heart"

I didn't know I was crying until grandfather told me not to cry.

After hearing what happened to Wang Feng, I begged grandfather to let me go to the capital. Grandfather hesitated, but in the end, he told Min to take me. I thanked grandfather profusely before leaving with Yun. Min knew my fear and did not complain as we rode night and day straight to the capital. I hadn't wanted to stop but Min had to force me to - for food and rest. But I could barely eat and woke up after a few hours of sleep. While it normally took over a week to travel from Jing to the Capital, Min and I arrived within 3 days.

"Mei-mei, are you not going to enter now that we're here?"

The large stone door and the two guardian tiger stones marked our arrival at Wang Mansion. But I couldn't step forward. My hands were cold. I didn't know if Feng wanted to see me, or worst, still remember me. Unconsciously, I turned away from the doors.

"Mei-mei" Min grabbed hold of my hand, stopping me from leaving.

Before I could pull away and make my escape, a familiar voice called out to me.

"Wei Lan?"

Turning, I saw a young woman dressed in a lovely light purple dress with a white veil over her head. Beside her was 2 pretty maids both dressed in a darker shade of purple.

"Wei Lan!" Li Xia ran up to me and grabbed my hands. "It's really you, you came back to the capital. You came back"

She hugged me happily while laughing.

"How are you Li Xia?" I was touched that she remembered me and hugged her back.

"I'm well, and you? You're doing well too?"

I nodded and she hugged again.

"Oh" Li Xia quickly stepped back while taking hold of my hand. "You're here because of Feng-ge, right? You heard about his injury so you came, right?"

She spoke quickly while rushing us into the Wang Mansion. I didn't even have time to react as she led me through the massive estate. Li Xia informed me about her brother condition and how he was still recovering. She had been going out every day to get her brother medicines but the stubborn man is refusing to drink it. Just as Li Xia was telling me how bad her brother's temper was becoming, we heard a deep angry voice ordering people to leave him be. Then there was a crash which sounded like a bowl or cup was smash onto the floor. Quickly afterward, several servants rushed out the room in fear.

"Feng-ge! Do you know all the trouble I went through every day for that medicine?" Li Xia entered and said angrily. "You keep on tossing it like this! What's the point of me going out to get it?"

"I didn't ask you to" Feng said coldly.

"Feng-ge! Why must you be so difficult? You refuse to drink your medicine. How are you going to get any better?"

I stood outside the door, frozen at the sight of Wang Feng. Sitting casually with his elbow on the wood table and his perfect jaw prompt on his fist, Wang Feng looked bored. It was obvious that he not a care about Li Xi scolding. Feng only wore black pants; his chest was exposed with bandage wrapped around his wound. His long hair was tied up in a simple knot. His skin look so pale, it was practically white. There was no color in his lips and his eyes lost the blue sparkle. My heart hurts seeing the condition he was in.

"Feng-ge! Are you even listening to me?"

"You're giving me a headache" He said coldly, his eyes glance over at Li Xia. "Shut up_"

He stopped when he saw me standing at the doorway behind Li Xia. He stood up so abruptly that the stool seat fell back. I felt my heart beating against my chest with his dark eyes on me. All the fears rushed at me in an instant, making me want to run. But before I could, strong arms already wrapped securely around me.

"Lan"

Just one call from him and I'm reminded of the promises.

"Lan"

His voice was soft but I could hear his joy. I could feel his lips against the top of my head and how his hands tighten around my shoulders. Finally, I turned and look up at him, seeing the same gentle smiles. 

"Feng... why did you get yourself hurt like this..." I reached up to touch his cheek and jaw. "Does it still hurt? Where did you get_"

He stops me by taking my hand and kissed my fingertips. His eyes stared into mine, making it difficult for me to look away.

"Wei Lan doesn't like seeing you hurt like this..." I said softly. "Why weren't you careful...?"

He cupped the back of my head and bent to kiss my forehead. When he held me against his heart, all I felt was warmth.