Chapter 22 (Closer)

Chapter 22

Closer

Derek's P.O.V*

I woke on the couch with a blanket placed over me. I sat up and ran my hand through my hair. I notice a blanket draped across my lap. Obviously it'd been placed over me by someone.

"He'll come around soon." I heard Christine say. "He just needs to blow off some steam. He has a soft spot for you."

"I know you probably won't believe this, but Derek will forgive you eventually. He can't be mad at you forever. You're his mother, and like you said, that will never change. Tell him how you feel, tell him how you felt that day."

"That's easier said than done when he refuses to talk to me."

"I'm sure you can do it."

"I'm sorry to dump this on you. I'm an adult, I should be able to handle my own problems. You're just really easy to talk to."
"It's not a problem. I want to help your relationship with Derek. I think it'll help soothe the pain that he feels."

I stood up and trudged over to the kitchen where they were sitting. They looked at me and both gave me a smile.

"Hey." Arabella said. "How was your day away from school?"

"It was alright." I answered. "I missed you."

"I missed you too. I was a little worried. Since this morning, you've been a little distant."

"I've just been thinking a lot today, that's all."

"What about?" Christine asked.

"Nothing that concerns you." I answered.

"Derek." Arabella said in a warning tone.

"I'm just not in a good mood right now. I need some fun. Do you want to go out?"

"Sure. If it'll put you in a good mood."

"Let's go then."

I grabbed my jacket and left with Arabella. I handed her, her helmet and she slipped it on. She climbed onto my bike behind me. Hopefully this date will end up better than the last two. I'd like to actually end a date with Arabella on a good note.

I drove us to a nearby diner. We went inside and found a booth to sit in. We ordered our drinks and waited.

"Are you okay?" Arabella asked me.

"I'm fine." I answered with a smile.

"I'm worried about you. Even with all of the murder accusations, you weren't this distant or secretive. I'm here for you to talk to, so talk to me. I know that the problems with your mom happened before you knew or liked me, but I want to make it better."

"You can't make it better. Nothing can make it better. It happened and there's no changing that."

"Maybe not, but you could forgive her."

"Can we not talk about this? We're supposed to be having fun and this is doing the opposite."

"Alright, fine."

A sad expression crossed her face and I sighed. Why does she always want to help? I love that she's sweet and caring, but this is more complicated than she thinks.

"How was school today?" I asked her.

"It was long and boring, like usual."

"So you're saying even when I'm there it's long and boring?"

"Well the moments I'm not with you, it is." She answered with a smile.

"Good, because nothing is boring when I'm around. I bring the party wherever I go."