Chapter 3 (Rewritten)

Chapter 3

Teamwork

*Arabella*

I frown as Jess holds up a blue dress against me. She smiles brightly as she nods, clearly happy with her choice. I don't like dresses. Never have. The idea of having to make sure some pervert doesn't try to sneak a peak, or sitting uncomfortably with your thighs squeezed shut has never appealed to me. But Jess has never cared.

"You have to admit this would look amazing on you." She says. "Please try it on."

"No." I say, moving away to look at a cute pair of jeans.

"You know you won't get a boyfriend if you don't dress more like a girl." She says, pulling me away from the graphic tees I'd moved on to. "Guys want their girls to look nice. Graphic tees, and loose jeans will only drag you down. Please try the dress on. You'll see that I'm right once you do." She shoves the dress in my hands and pushes me towards the dressing room.

I groan in frustration as I walk into the dressing room, blue dress in hand. In the dressing room I strip out of my clothes and slip on the blue dress. I frown immediately when I see my reflection. It's form fitted top and flowy bottom is not my style. And it's so short I feel like I need to wear a pair of shorts under just so a slight breeze won't make me have to Marilyn Monroe. I hate it.

I know Jess is waiting for me to walk out and show this dress off, but I can't bear to walk out of this dressing room wearing this. I snap a quick picture and send it to Jess before quickly changing back into my clothes.

"Why do you look so sad?" Jess asks when I come out the dressing room. She holds up her phone to show the photo I sent. "You looked amazing!"

"No, I looked like someone used me as a dress up Barbie. I'm not suited for dresses, Jess. I don't have the curves or the height, and I definitely don't want to worry about accidentally flashing someone."

"Okay, first we need to work on your confidence because your figure is amazing. I'd kill to trade my way too wide hips for yours. Second, you have to get this dress because it's to die for." She grabs the dress from me and heads to the check out counter. "I'll even buy it for you. You're welcome." She smiles.

I roll my eyes but keep my mouth shut to avoid an argument. Jess has always been the girly girl type. Dresses, heels, and makeup has always been a focus for her. I've always preferred comfort over beauty. We've always been opposites, but she's never stopped trying to push her style on me. Though it gets irritating most of the time, I know she's only trying to do what she thinks is best for me. And I love her for it, but a boyfriend is not on my priority list.

"Can we get something to eat after this?" I ask. "I'm starting to get a little hangry."

"Of course. Don't want you getting hangry." She smiles.

Jess pays for the dress and we head to the food court to grab some food. We barely manage to find an empty table in the crowded food court.

"So, there's a party this weekend that I promised we'd go to." Jess says. "It'd be great if you wore one of the numerous outfits I've picked out for you."

"I don't even know if I can go." I shrug. I honestly don't want to go at all. "With my homework and tutoring, I'm not sure I'll have the time."

"Speaking of tutoring." Jess smiles widely. "How do you feel about tutoring Derek?"

"Scared." I admit. "I mean you should see him in class. He doesn't pay attention at all. I'm sure he's like that in all his classes. I can only imagine how much work he'll need help with. I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it."