MUSICAL #17: MAMMA MIA!

17: THERE ARE BILLIONS OF MUSICALS WE CAN WATCH THAT DON'T INVOLVE ABBA

« typical, isn't it? you wait twenty years for a dad and then three come along at once. »

ALLISON HATES ABBA.

It is a simple fact of life, and never has she come across one song by the damn band that's given her even the slightest reason to reconsider it. She just hates their songs.

For this reason, she isn't exactly thrilled when Toby points out the next musical on their list the day after they watch The Book of Mormon, which Allison has to admit has probably been one of her favourites, if she had to pick any favourites.

But this one – no. So yeah, maybe Allison's never really been thrilled at the prospect of watching a musical, but this one – this one is a completely different thing altogether.

"I'm not watching it," she announces, straight off the bat, because she figures then Toby will realise she means business.

Toby puts on his pleading puppy dog face but Allison is immune. "Allison..." he says, dragging out the syllables. "We have to!"

"We do not," Allison says flatly. "There are billions of other ones we can watch. That don't involve ABBA."

"You don't like ABBA?" Toby gasps.

"No, I don't," she scowls. "And nothing you say is going to make me watch the musical, so quit while you're ahead."

"But –"

"No."

"If you just –"

"No."

"It's better than –"

"No."

This probably would have gone on for quite some time if not for the sudden appearance of Laura, who rushes into the library and heads straight for Toby and Allison's table, looking breathless but still very perfect.

"There you are," she huffs at Toby, and whether that's from annoyance or exertion, Allison isn't really sure. "Where the hell have you been?"

"Uh, here?" Toby frowns.

"Well, you're not supposed to be," Laura grits out, grabbing his hand and hauling him up. "Me and you have a rehearsal? We're running through all the duets in the second –"

"Act," Toby finishes in horror. "Oh, shit, he's going to kill me –"

"Yeah, he is, and he's going to kill both of us if you don't hurry up," Laura hisses. Allison suppresses a smile, and it seems that that point is when Laura notices her for the first time.

"Oh," she says. "Allison. Hey. You don't mind if I –" she gestures to Toby, "Do you?"

"Hm? Uh, no, of course not," Allison responds, and for some reason her eyes keep straying back to Laura's hand, which is still gripping Toby's. "I mean," she takes a breath, trying to articulate better. "Don't worry about it," she offers Laura a small, genuine smile, which the girl returns almost immediately. "You guys have fun at your rehearsal."

"Allison, we're still watching Mamma Mia," Toby asserts, although it has less punch when he's simultaneously trying to stuff all of his things into his bag hurriedly.

"Whatever," Allison rolls her eyes. "Hurry up, you're already late."

"Wait, is that a yes?"

"Toby," she says sternly. "Not now."