"You haven't changed at all," Octavia Blake tells her, smirking.

"I can't say the same for you," Grace replies.

It was true. Octavia had grown out of her baby-faced features, her cheekbones more prominent and her eyes void of her innocence. Within the last year, Octavia had changed drastically and Grace, well... she had remained the same.

"You've been out for a while," the girl tells her. "I saw the guards bring you on board unconscious and thought, 'Hey, I know that girl!', so I followed you to this seat."

"Smooth."

"Very." Octavia laughs. She pauses, let's her eyes drift over the commotion of the rest of the prisoners chatting, then turns back to Grace. "Have you heard where they're sending us?"

"Not really," Grace admits, shifting in her seat, "but it's kind of obvious. Anywhere other than Earth is years away. We'd never get there before we shrivelled up and died of old age — or starvation. Plus we had to take 'Earth Skills', so that helped."

Octavia hums in amusement. "So, how long do you think they knew they were going to send us to our deaths before they actually told us?"

"At least two weeks."

"This is crazy. How are you acting so calm?"

Grace shrugs. "I was supposed to die today, anyway. Radiation wasn't really high on the list of ways to go, but I guess it'll do."

Octavia scoffs in disbelief, but doesn't say anything about Grace's dark humour. As they were former roommates, she was pretty used to Grace and her morbidity. "Yeah, yeah. Happy birthday, by the way."

"Thanks."

Grace tenses as the dropship shudders beneath her, stomach rolling. Octavia makes a face at the redhead. "You're not going to throw up, are you?"

"Of course not," Grace defends, but she's honestly not sure. She's lived on the Ark her whole life — the ship never had rough movements and, if there had been, it was likely an incident on one of the less fortunate stations, like Factory. Grace had grown up on Alpha, hidden away with the Privileged.

      Tiny screens around the dropship flicker to life with a short, static sound. The irritatingly calm voice of the chancellor flows through the speakers. "Prisoners of the Ark, hear me now. You've been given a second chance, and as your chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself."

      "This'll be good," Grace mutters. Octavia snickers.

      "We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've send others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable."

      "Your dad is a dick, Wells!" Someone screams.

      Grace's eyes snap to the side, to the direction of where the voice came from. Wells Jaha was arrested? And to make it even more incredulous, Clarke Griffin is sitting right next to him.