Day 3

Gotham City

August 27th, 4:34 PM.

"Mom, I don't know what to do," Jackie complained as she sat by her mother's hospital bed, "I have to make a decision today."

Jennifer took a sip of water before looking at her daughter. "Well, decide then."

The teen groaned. "I can't decide!"

Her Mom shook her head. "Well, I can't decide for you."

"I know that," she muttered, crossing her arms.

"Then make a decision."

"I can't!"

"Why not?" her mother asked in frustration as she set her cup down. "Because you can't move on from the past? Well I can't either but that doesn't mean you shouldn't!"

She sighed. "It's half that."

"Then what's the other half?" her mom asked, frustrated. "What's stopping you from accepting a new life where you can start over? What's keeping you from being happy? What's keeping you from making friends and doing good in the world? What's-"

"Because I'm scared!" Jackie exclaimed as tears fell down her cheeks, and she looked down. "What if I can't do it, Mom? What if I let my fear of my past being repeated get in the way of the missions? What if I can't learn to trust my teammates? What if I fail someone? What if I can't be a hero, like you?" She slammed her fists down on the bed and cried into the mattress.

Jennifer was taken aback by her daughter's outburst and would have scolded her for it if she didn't realize how much pressure Jackie was feeling about this whole thing. Her daughter was terrified of joining; she was afraid of letting, not only herself, but everyone else down, including her. It was all because of the past, too; it was tearing apart Jackie's confidence in herself and her abilities.

But Jackie's last comment about Jennifer being a hero really got to her. She didn't realize that her daughter thought that she was one. Sure, she was the one who rescued herself and Jackie from her husband by getting help from the police. Sure, she also always stood between him and Jackie when he threatened to hurt her, but she never thought she was being a hero; she was just protecting her daughter, like any good mother would do.

Her mother softened her expression and placed her hand on her daughter's fist. "Sweetie, look at me," she whispered.

Jackie sniffled and looked at her mother, who could see how puffy and red her eyes became as tears kept falling. "Oh, my sweetheart," her mother continued and grabbed a tissue box, "there's nothing to be afraid of."

The teen took a few tissues and wiped her eyes. "My past; it'll get in the way," she whispered.

"No, it won't," her mother assured and unwrapped her daughter's fist to hold her hand.

"Yes, it will."

"If you keep telling yourself that, it will."

Jackie sniffled again. "What if I can't do it?" she asked and looked down. "What if I can't be a hero?"

"Sh, baby girl," her mother whispered and pulled Jackie into her arms, forcing her to lay on the bed with her, "there will be people that won't consider you a hero, but it doesn't matter what they think. All that matters is what you think you are."

"A failure?"

"No." Her mother smiled gently. "A hero."

"I'm not a hero, though; I've never done anything heroic."

"Of course you have," her mom insisted, "you rescued me."

"From what?" Jackie asked, trying to figure out what her mother meant.