Chapter Fifteen: Testing for life

Start from the beginning

“Sweetie what’s wrong?” 

I looked away trying not to cry but I couldn’t hold it in any longer. 

“Jazlynn tell me what’s wrong!” 

“Darion and I broke up because he cheated.” 

I ran to my room crying uncontrollably.

Later that day someone was knocking on the door when my mother answered it. There were two policemen standing there with Jessica and her mother. 

“Hi officers, what can I do for you?” My mother greeted. 

Before one of the officers could speak Jessica’s mom spoke. 

“Your daughter beat the crap out my daughter and we’re pressing charges.” 

“What!” 

“Miss please let me handle this.” The first police officer said. 

“Is Jazlynn Cortez home?” The second officer asked. 

“Yes, but I know Jazlynn wouldn’t do something like that.” 

I walked towards to door where my mother was. 

“Mom what’s going on?” 

“Arrest her!” Jessica’s mother yelled. 

“Jazlynn Cortez?” The second officer asked. 

“Yes.” I answered. 

“Can you step outside please?” 

I did as I was told and once I came outside I saw Jessica with a swollen lip, a broken nose, and a black eye. 

“Jazlynn you are under arrest for the Assault of Jessica Lo.”

It was a scary situation to be in at nineteen years old, but I handled myself calmly and didn’t answer any questions until my father showed up. Once he got there he was heated. 

“How dare you arrest my daughter without any proof that she actually did anything!” My father yelled at the officers.

“We just brought her down to be questioned, but she isn’t answering any of our questions. The victim accused Jazlynn for the assault.” 

“Can I have a moment with Jazlynn?” 

Both of the officers left me and my father alone. 

I just sat there looking down. 

“Do you mind telling me what’s going on?” 

I remained silent and continued to look down. 

He sat down next to me. 

“Jazlynn did you do this?” 

Tears began to roll down my face as I shook my head saying yes. 

“Why?” 

“She’s the reason why Darion and I broke up.” I began.

“Jessica is Darion’s ex girlfriend. She was trying to win him back since we were in school.” I continued. 

“Did this happen last night? Cause your hands are bruised and you had blood on your shirt.” 

“Yeah. I saw her and Darion making out so I ran back to my car once I gave Darion back the promise he gave me. Then a few minutes later I saw Jessica walking to her car and I just became so angry. I walked up behind her, called her name, and once she turned around I punched her. I yelled at her and then we both began fighting. Once she fell, I blacked out. I wasn’t thinking, but who would be thinking at that moment? She ruined something very special to me just to please herself. Everyone knows how much Darion means to me and now we are nothing because of her!”