Chapter One

Chapter One: The Widow's Web

Song: Apocalypse by Cigarettes After Sex

My mother's smile was as beautiful and radiant as ever. The fountain behind her splashed in different directions and the sinking sun emitted an orange glow; she looked like a Goddess.

I moved back as I snapped a photo of her with a Polaroid camera. As my finger left the trigger, a giggling child accidentally bumped into me and caused me to drop the camera. The little device shattered loudly as it hit the ground, snatching strangers' attention. The mall was packed today, so many eyes were on me.

As my mother's smile faded, I bent down to pick up the pieces. The Polaroid was a special gift given to my father by a family member who had passed away. My mother, with worried eyes, quickly waved at me to hide the broken pieces in her purse.

"We can fix it," she said as I stuffed the broken Polaroid in her large purse.

I couldn't help but smile at her reaction. She acted like we had just committed a crime and everyone in the mall was a witness, but the curious eyes disappeared as a normal day at the mall slowly came to an end. The child had apologized profusely and begged us not to tell his parents of the accident. We pinky promised and off he went.

"Where's dad?" I asked as I seated myself next to the fountain and stared at my reflection in the water. I dragged the long hairs out of my eyes and moved them behind my ears. My hair was getting long, but I kind of liked it.

"Picking up a few things, he'll be back soon," she said, copying what I had just done with my hair and moving her hair behind her ears to stop it from flowing in the wind.

Our only real resemblance was our brown hair. Her face was square with cheek bones that proved she really was a Goddess and a jawline models would die for. Her eyes were strikingly grey and often left people speechless, with skin so smooth you'd think she was born yesterday.

According to my friends, I was good looking but nowhere near as good as my parents. My friends were also jokers, so anything they said was questionable and completely unreliable too. They kissed my parent's asses too much, just so they could impress them and hopefully get invited to the biggest party, which my parents hosted every year at their private island.

My father and I shared more similarities; our eyes brown, our noses narrow and pointed at the tip, our lips full, but mine weren't as healthy from all the nervous biting I did. Thinking about it made me start doing it again.

I was definitely nervous right now. I had no idea where my father was and we were a long way from home. They hadn't told me anything since we got on the private plane and flown all the way to . . . Bellumstone? It would have been easy to guess they were surprising me with something if it were my birthday, but that wasn't for months. They refused to tell me no matter how much I bugged them about it. Why would a surprise be all the way out here in the middle of nowhere? I'd never even heard of this small town in the first place.

My eyes roamed for an hour, searching for the familiar figure, but it never came. We were somewhere in the middle of a mall, a patio of some sort that people seemed to really enjoy. It was pretty and heavy on the nature, with plants of different kinds surrounding every corner and even some of the benches were adorned with fake thorns. It smelled like a florist's heaven.

I thought long and hard for an answer, but each possibility led me to this town. It was nothing special. There wasn't anything for miles outside of it. Unless the empty land was why we were here. My father loved creating new houses. His designs and talents were incredible. It was the only reasonable explanation. But it still left out why they wouldn't tell me.