6

My thoughts were confirmed as she walked over and wrapped her arms around Luke's waist. Her small frame only reaching Luke's chest. I looked away quickly as they started kissing, their hands slowly trailing over each other. I was close enough to hear the soft grunts from them both and the slapping of their lips together. Seriously, they didn't even say 'hello' before the intimate encounter.

Feeling slightly sick and very uncomfortable, I shuffled to the right and smiled at the girl from English, who looked a little sympathetic. She smiled back and excused herself from the blonde boy, by the oven and starting walking over to me.

"hey" She smiled and stood in front of me.

"Hi" I smiled back. I wasn't expecting her to talk to me when I smiled at her. I was just being polite.

"I'm Emily" she held her hand out.

Her hair was cut really short, she had gray eyes and her teeth were amazingly white. Her skin was a little pale and I had to say, I envied her.

"I'm Theo" I shook her hand and took a sip of my drink.

"I've seen you before" Her voice was one of those voices where she could say anything and it would sound sweet. Or maybe she was just being sweet.

"I moved here last week." I smiled lightly and glanced over to Luke to see that they were now in a full on make out session.

I looked back to Emily quickly and saw her eyes squinted and her head tilted. I opened my mouth to mention we are in the same English class but she gasped before I could speak.

"Oh! You're Theo. Wait, no, I do know you, you were in my English class today" She rushed quickly and flashed that very pretty, and very real smile. I felt my head nod lightly and I looked down to my feet. 

I had to stop the growing feeling of insecurity talking to a girl like Emily. Her perfect smile and charm intimidated me a little and I felt out of my depth. 

"Ugh, get a room." I heard her voice mumble and I snapped my eyes up to her. Her face was raised on one side as she rolled her eyes and looked back to the side. I followed her gaze to Luke and his girlfriend to see them still going at it, tongues tasting each others hearts as Luke slowly lifted the petite blonde onto the counter.

"sweet lord, someone needs to stop them before they start getting naked." I heard her announce beside me. I laughed lightly and looked back to Emily who smiled at me and sipped her drink. Her warm gaze eased my anxiety and I felt myself open up. 

"I like your hair." I commented quietly. Maybe a compliment will break the ice. Her hair was a warm chestnut colour, short everywhere except her curly fringe, framing her face.

"Thank you. I cut it off earlier this year. It's much easier to handle." She nodded once before looking over her shoulder. 

I'm guessing she was checking if the blonde boy by the oven was still there, but I saw him leave just now. Her head turned back and she took a quick sip of her drink.

"so how come you moved to California?" she leaned back against the counter and brought her cup to her her lips. 

fuck.

"Uh-" I scratched the back of my earlobe and looked to the floor. "my mum always loved America. We came here when I was little to visit my Aunt Wendy. And-, I mean she always told me we'd move here some day"

Emily nodded lightly and her lips were glued with a curve on the ends.

"I'd love to move away. It takes guts though to leave everything behind though, I have to applaud you for that"