1

"Miss. Harris" My eyes snapped back down at the woman behind the wooden desk. She had a sweet look on her face as she smiled at me gently. Her hair was tied back into a neat bun and she looked pretty young with her blonde hair and black and white suit.

"Yes, sorry." I blushed, my daydreaming obvious to both of us. I scraped my flip flop against the floor slightly, a habit that had grown on me.

"It's fine. If you check your time table it'll say that you have biology first period and then English. I have a boy waiting outside to show you where your classes are." She smiled again before gesturing with her hand for me to leave. I nodded my head once and then headed toward the door. It felt kind of awkward being in here on my own with the principal. I grabbed the door handle and turned it lightly.

"Oh and Theo." She called. My head quickly shot back to her and she had a real smile on her face now.

"Welcome to Corkwell High School." I smiled and thanked her before swinging the door open and stepping outside. There was a boy leaning against the wall. He had dirty blonde, curly hair and huge biceps. He wore a grey tank top with black skinny jeans and black boots. His face lit up when he saw me. Two huge dimples popping into his cheeks as he stood from the wall and walked over to me. He was quite intimidating actually. His arms made me think of all the things he could crush if he wanted to. I clutched my books a little tighter in my arms.

"Hey, I'm Ashton. You're Theo, right?" His smile didn't leave his face as we shook hands and it comforted me a bit. I smiled back and nodded, dropping his hand.

"well, I need to show you around so, let's go." He cheered and giggled. I had to stop for a second and take in the fact that Ashton just giggled. A man of his exterior doesn't seem like one to share a giggle. But you don't judge a book by it's cover, right? I followed him down the stairs and he showed me around all the school hallways.

"So, Theo. Are you nervous about your first day?" Ashton took a glance down at me next to him and gave a small smile.

"Yeah, I am actually. Especially this late into the semester." I had moved here two weeks ago and there was two weeks left before Summer break. 

"Nah, you'll be alright girl. I'll look after you." I smiled lightly before he showed me the art department, I walked in silence as he described which painting was his on the wall. We came to a stop and Ashton turned around, his smile now only a faint turn up at the end of his lips.

"you're really quiet." He said, his head tilting to the side as his body leaned against the lockers.

"Yeah, I get that a lot." I smiled. My grip on my books tightened as I suspected a silence to come over us but it didn't.

"shy?" Ashton's face seemed to soften and I sighed lightly.

"A little." I shrugged. One of the things I wish I could be was confident. No matter how much I tell myself that I shouldn't care about what other people think about me, there's always a voice in my head that tells me that I should.

"I wasn't expecting that after I saw you walk out of the office" He shook his hair away from his eyes lightly.

"what? Why?" I frowned a bit, leaning onto the lockers too.

"I don't know, I just thought you'd be...different. More arrogant, maybe." He shrugged, smiling lightly.

"Oh come on. I don't really give off that vibe do I?" I giggled lightly before tucking my hair behind my ear. Things seemed to become less awkward with Ashton as we stayed here. Ashton giggled again before shaking his head.

"No, no, no. I think it's just personal experience. You look a lot like my ex." He cleared, running a hand through his hair.

"She was a nightmare." He mumbled, before flashing me a cheeky smile and I laughed.