#12 The Nameless Dragon

Pearl yawned and stretched her wings. She looked out the cave door and saw the sun rising in a bright red sky, contrasting against the ash grey colour of everything else. She heard a yawn from behind her and turned to see the earth dragon waking up as the child tugged at his wing. She laughed.
"How are feeling the morning?" Pearl asked the earth dragon.
"Much better, thanks to you." He answered in a dry, raspy voice. Pearl smiled. The earth dragon stretched his neck forward and lapped up some of the water that Pearl had left him the previous night.
"What's your name, anyway?" Pearl asked him. He looked up at her and coughed before answering with,
"Don't have one." He yawned and gave the child's ear an affectionate lick.
"What do you mean?" Pearl asked, quite confused. The earth dragon got up and sluggishly walked over to the shelf and grabbed a leaf to chew on. He got all the juice out of it and spat it onto the floor.
"Been living by me self for so long, never really needed one." He finally answered, his voice sounding better.
"Oh, well I'm Pearl." Pearl said. The earth dragon nodded. He lay back down. The child skipped around him and he watched him in amusement. "I wish I could stay here with you sir, but I really must go." Pearl said politely. The earth dragon looked at her.
"Ok, I'll be missing ya," he said before adding with a chuckle, "and yer son." Pearl was surprised.
"Oh, he isn't my son." Pearl said. The earth dragon seemed confused so Pearl told him about the dragon that she tried to save and how she only wanted her child to be safe. The whole time the earth dragon listened in awe and the child sat next to him, make light in his mouth. Pearl also told him about her journey and how she couldn't take the child with her. When she finished, the earth dragon thought for a bit.
"He can stay with me." He offered. Pearl nodded.
"He does seem to like you." She said. The child was playing with the earth dragon's toes and shooting beams of light between them. Pearl laughed, so did the earth dragon.
"I really must go now, farewell nameless dragon." Pearl said as she spread out her wings and got ready to take flight.
The earth dragon bid Pearl goodbye and she flew off into the reddish gold sky.

The earth dragon watched her go and looked at the child that was now his son. He was shooting beams of light all over the cave, brightening it up a lot.
"I think I'll be calling ye, Sunbeam." He said with a smile.