"Quit acting like you don't know what I mean. Everyone knows by now. You and Rah ruining lives by selling dope. For what?" I sat up and leaned against the frame of my bed.

"I'm sorry, Domonique. I just wanted to take care of my mother and my fucking sister. My bad for wanting you to enjoy the things in life," he said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes at him. We were broke for the longest but we were happy at least. I saw less and less of them around the time they started slanging. Ma stopped taking extra shifts but we weren't as close anymore. I so desperately wanted them all back.

"Fuck that, Jordan. I don't want nothing to do with that business you, Ma, and Rah pulling."

He stood up abruptly and got in my face. I felt his breath on my face as he yelled. "Domonique you don't fucking get it. You think I wanna slang? I don't. I'm in too fucking deep to get out. This money puts food on the table, clothes on your back, and spikes on your feet."

I turned away and faced the window. "You slangin', getting people out there hooked on that stuff. You breaking families apart but you want me to be happy?" I asked rhetorically. In walked Raheem, pulling our brother out of the room.

Within a couple weeks I was able to walk on my own. Close to that time my family moved upstate since I was healed. And due to my stubbornness, I was left with Ashanti.

Some days I feel like I should've just went along with everything and shut my mouth. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this struggle. Three years later nothing had changed. I never got back into track, had no friends, and was alone.

And then he asked if I would tutor him.

It was the first human interaction I had had in months that involved a full conversation. That's why I was startled when he first spoke to me, plus there was no denying that Jaylen was fine.

I don't think I could ever fully explain the affect he had on my life. I haven't completely opened up to him, but he's doing a great job at trying.

I used my last period to walk to the athletics building and see the trainer. Jay walked along aside me, my bag on his shoulder.

"It would just be easier if I carried you." I smacked and continued my slow walk.

"Okay whatever. We almost there anyways," I said. We turned the corner and entered the hallway were the two buildings connected. The athletics building was built using a 3 million dollar grant. The main building was busted as hell and that money should've been used to fix it.

Everything here was state of the art, from the four gyms to the locker rooms. The trainers had a room at the very end, where the doors leading outside were.

"Imma take you down there, can't stay though. I gotta get out there," Jaylen said. I shrugged as we silently walked there. He opened the door for me to enter giving a slight nod to the woman that was inside. She returned it.

She was a little taller than me with short, brown hair that was pulled into a ponytail. "Doc, I got a runner here for you. Thank me later," Jay left after sitting my bag on the table next to the door.

The room was bigger than expected. "I'm Tyler, the senior trainer at Monroe. Everybody call me Doc, though. Follow me." Tyler led me to an examination table that sat in a far corner. Throughout the room there was gauze, wraps, and other sports medicine things.

"Domonique, right? Jaylen told me you had a tear. Acl?" I nodded.

"In the middle of a race. I kept going at full speed, too. I won but was out for longer than expected. Never got back into it," I said. She was looking at my right knee, moving it in different directions to test my flexibility.

"If it healed, how did this happen?" Tyler asked. I explained the run I went on, making her understand.

"Jaylen been tryna talk me into getting back into it, because of college and all that. I just don't know where to start." She nodded.

"Are you in shape?" I made sure I stayed toned even though I didn't compete anymore. I did have hopes of doing it again and when I did so, I didn't want it to be extremely hard to get back to my fastest time. I replied with a shaky yes.

"Right. So come see me everyday after school for like mini therapy sessions. It won't be too long until I have you running. And then after that I can test you on the track, see if you good for it. Then we can start prepping you for the season."

Tyler told me to lay on my back. She rotated my right leg in circles and performed various stretches that I used to do when I initially sprained it. I was keeping it elevated and iced so I wasn't in any pain. "Alright that's good. This will be easier than I thought." I sat up and let my feet dangle under me.

"Were going to be spending a lot of time together, so I want you to get to know me," she said.

Tyler was from Maine and lived there all her life. She started studying sports medicine and was certified as a trainer. After being offered to be on LSU's team, she moved here. Seven years she stayed on the team. "The traveling and late nights were fun at first but I wanted a family. And a job a little more... calm," she explained. Now she was thirty with a two year old child that she had with her husband.

I liked that she wanted to make sure I knew her and that I trusted her. The genuineness in her voice made me feel like I was going to be better than I was three years ago. I shared a little about myself but not as much as I had told Jay.

"We done talked so much, the football boys are long gone," she said. I peeked out the window and noticed that the field was clear.

Jaylen knew he had to pick me up, too. I tried not to be irritated because he had his own life. I texted his phone twice and called once. There was no reply.

"Doc, could I get a ride?" She nodded and grabbed her things along with her badge and keys. I tied my bag to one of my crutches, not wanting to burden her.

Less than half an hour later we were at Jay's house, his car parked in the front. I thanked Tyler and walked up the driveway. The spare key was under the mat and I used it to get in.

As soon as I entered, loud moans filled the house. I set my crutches at the foot of the stairs and limped across the corridor to Jaylen's room. There was a slight crack in the door that I used to peak through. I was sure even the neighbors could hear their skin clapping.

A naked Jaylen was fucking someone from the back. I cringed at seeing his bare booty. Not wanting to see anymore, I made my way back to the stairs and up to my room. I left the crutches at the door and sat on my bed, starting on some homework.

I could still hear the moans but after a short pause, I'm guessing a change in position, I heard only his grunts. Her sucking and slurping noises could be heard from all the way up here. Fifteen minutes later, the noises stopped all together.

"Imma see you later then," I heard Jaylen say. The girl said inaudible something back. The door opened and closed. Seconds later my phone rang, the loud ringtone filling the room. I heard Jaylen curse and run up the stairs. He knocked twice before I told him to enter.

"Yo, D. My bad for real. It slipped my mind that you was still at school," he said. His chest was covered by a muscle tee while his lower half sported some basket ball shorts. His dick was still a little hard from the sex he'd just had. I tried not to stare but from what I could see, that girl shouldn't have been able to walk straight.

I put my pencil down and looked up at him. "Nah it's all good. Doc gave me a ride." He seemed sorry from the bottom of his heart. It was okay because I did not care. Maybe I did, but I was more annoyed than anything.

"Before you fuck... gimme a lil heads up. Miss thang was screaming like she was on a rollercoaster."

he smirked. "Because she was. And you know I was-" I demanded that he stopped talking. I ain't wanna hear the details of his sex life.

"Bet. I'll let you know. I think you still kinda mad so to make it up imma make you some Ramen. I'm in the mood for Pork." He turned and left my room.

To be honest I didn't know how to feel about the whole thing. We both knew we didn't have feelings for each other like that, but part of me wished that I was her.