In Diagon Alley

Dobby, the house elf, wakes her up bright an early Wednesday morning. She sighs sadly at the sight of the elf. He looks battered and quite worse for wear, but he doesn't let on that he's in pain.

"Thank you for waking me, Dobby." Vanessa says politely. She sees he's holding a tray of breakfast. When she thanks him he looks shocked but says nothing. 

"Master says you will be leaving soon," Dobby squeaks. 

"Thanks for letting me know." She smiles politely. His hands shake as he sets the tray down. They shake so much that the glass of juice topples over and crashes to the floor. 

"You useless house elf!" Draco exclaims, sauntering into the room. He looks down at the poor creature with disgust. 

"Dobby is sorry," Dobby looks at Draco with fear. Draco moves to raise his hand against the elf.

"Hey! Stop!" Vanessa is up in a flash and grabs his arm. 

"What did you do that for!?" He looks at Vanessa in question. 

"It was an accident! You don't need to hit him." She lets go of his arm and glares at him. Draco huffs as lets his arm fall to his side. Dobby snaps his fingers and the mess is gone, he then quickly scampers out of the room. Seconds later she can hear him yelping from another room, punishing himself, no doubt. 

"Why were you defending that thing?" Draco asks her. 

"Because," she murmurs. "I know what it's like to be treated the way he does." 

"But he's a house elf, that's how they're supposed to be treated." Draco sneers. 

"And I suppose you have that mindset about anyone else who is of lower status?" She frowns. "Maybe someone who is a half-blood, like me?"

"I- no," he stops. "You're different. You're not like them." 

"Right," she huffs. "If you could please leave, I need to get dressed." He nods and quickly leaves the room. She really shouldn't be getting angry at him right now. It isn't his fault that's how he was brought up. And she knows he doesn't look down upon her like he does to others, like Harry. But... Her and Harry are one in the same, how can look down on her brother but look so highly at her. 

Once she's dressed and ready to go, she heads downstairs and finds Draco talking to his dad by the fireplace. 

"Ah, there you are," Lucius says when he notices her. "We shall be traveling by The Floo network." He sniffs. 

"I'll go first and show you how it's done." Draco says. He grabs some glittering powder from a nearby jar and tosses it into the flames. The fire turns emerald green and rises higher. 

Draco steps into the fire, Vanessa has to fight her instinct to snatch him away from the flames. One the flames are dancing around him he shouts, "Knockturn Alley!" In a blink of an eye he's gone. Fascinating. 

"Speak clearly, and do get out at the correct grate, I'd hate to have to search for you." Lucius sneers. Vanessa nods and, like Draco, takes some of the powder, throwing it into the fire. When the flames are green she warily steps into the flames, half expecting to be burned, instead it feels like a warm breeze. 

"Knockturn Alley!" She says clearly. She feels as if she's sucked away, spinning fast. As if by instinct she keeps her arms tucked close at her sides. She sees dozens of fireplaces stream past through squinted eyes. Then suddenly she stumbles out onto solid ground, arms wrap around her, keeping her upright. 

"Alright?" Draco asks with a chuckle. 

"Fantastic, thanks for asking." She laughs, shaking her head.