Quidditch and Mudbloods

The next couple of days went swimmingly. The flow of classes quickly became routine and she was much looking forward to all the classes this year, save for Defense Against the Dark Arts of course. Lockhart seems just as big a prat as he was day one. 

The whole time while she seems to be thriving, Harry looks downright miserable. 

One evening after dinner, Draco had grabbed her arm and excitedly dragged her out to the quidditch field. 

"Why are we out here?" She rolls her eyes with an exasperated sigh. 

"I'm doing a private tryout for the team!" He beams. She can't help but break into a smile at his excitement. 

"For seeker? Oh Draco, that's amazing!"

"Well don't get excited yet, I still have to try out." He flushes, but the smile doesn't leave his face. "I just wanted you around, see if you're my good luck charm." Now it's her turn for her face to flush red. 

"I'll be in the stands," she says when Marcus Flint arrives. "Good luck!" She quickly makes her way to the stands, going straight to the railing to get a good view. 

She watches as the two Slytherins kick off into the air, the soon to be setting sun makes Draco's white hair look golden as he flies through the air. She beams with pride at him. He seems to be doing well. After some time they finally start to descend. She rushes down to the field. 

She keeps her distance as the boys talk but as soon as Marcus departs she  rushes to Draco's side. His hair is tousled, his cheeks are rosy, and above all he is smiling brightly. 

"I made the team!" He hugs her. "Looks like you are a good luck charm after all."

"Congratulations, Draco! I'm so happy for you!" She hugs him in return and pulls back with a happy smile. "I never had any doubts." 

"Of course, I didn't either." He moves his hand through his hair. "now that I've made the team, father is going to be so proud, I have no doubts he will be giving a wonderful gift." He excited smile turns to a mischievous grin. What is he up to? 

"Marcus is planning on putting in extra practice Saturday morning. I hope you'll come to watch." He looks at her expectantly. 

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Draco."

*****

Saturday morning at breakfast Draco can only talk about Quidditch. Crabbe and Goyle listen as he talks and Vanessa just eats. She makes note that Draco is not eating much. She wonders if he's nervous. She knows she tends not to eat when her nerves are on edge. 

Draco nearly flies out of his seat when the rest of the team stands from the table. The team is chattering excitedly about the team's new brooms. Edward even claps Draco on the shoulder shaking him with a grin. 

Vanessa gets up and trails along with Draco behind everyone else. His steps have a bounce to them. His excitement amuses her. She doesn't often see him so at ease and happy about something. 

When he steps out of the changing room, she beems at him. The green quidditch robes look perfect on him. 

As the team goes to the field, she turns to head to the stands but stops in place when she notices the red of Gryffindor Quidditch robes up in the air. She sidles close to Draco again as they start to descend on them.