The Keeper of Keys

BOOM

The knock sounds again. Dudley jerks awake. "Where's the canon?" He asks stupidly.

With a crash, Uncle Vernon comes rushing into the room, a rifle in his hands. No doubt that was the package that he had.

"Who's there?" He shouts. "I warn you -- I'm armed!"

A slight pause, where the only sound is the storm then suddenly --

SMASH!

The door comes crashing down from being hit with such a huge force. A giant man stands in the doorway. Vanessa had never seen a man so huge or with as much hair. The only thing one could make out are his eyes, shining black in the dark room.

The man squeezes into the room them puts the door back up. Vanessa stares in fascination. Why on earth would any sane person be out in a storm like this?

"Couldn't make us a cup o' tea, could yeh? It's not been an easy journey..." He strides over to the couch where Dudley is staring frozen in fear.

"Budge up, yeh great lump." The giant says. Vanessa snickers as Dudley squeaks and hides behind Aunt Petunia, who is hiding behind Uncle Vernon.

"Ah, Harry, Vanessa," the stranger stares at them, his eyes crinkling into a smile. "I haven't seen yeh two since you was only babies. Harry yeh look a lot like your father, but yeh've got yer mom's eyes. Oi and Vanessa yeh are just the opposite. The spittin' image of yer mom with yer dad's eyes." She flushes a bit, she's never heard anyone describe her parents, does she really look like her mum? Did he know them? She suddenly is brimming with questions.

"I demand you leave at once!" Uncle Vernon shouts. "You are breaking and entering!"

"Ah shut up, Dursely, yeh great prune." The giant says. He reaches over the back of the sofa, taking the gun, tying it into a knot like it's nothing at all, then throwing it in the corner. Vanessa can't help but laugh aloud at this. Aunt Petunia shoots her a dirty look.

"Anyway--" the man turns back to the twins. "A very happy birthday to yeh two. Got summat for yeh here -- I mighta sat on it at some point, but it'll taste all right." From the pocket of his coat he pulls out a slightly squished box. Harry takes it and opens it with trembling fingers. Inside is a cake that reads Happy Birthday, Potters in green icing. Vanessa can't believe it, she's never gotten a birthday cake before.

Instead of saying thank you, Harry blurts out with "Who are you?"  This causes the giant to chuckle.

"True, I haven't introduced myself. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts." He holds his hand out to first Harry then Vanessa, shaking their entire arm.

"What about that tea then, eh?" He rubs his hands together. "I'd not say no ter summat stronger if yeh've got it, mind."

He glances at the empty grate of the fireplace and leans forward. Vanessa can't see what he's doing, but when he pulls away, a fire is roaring there. Any cold is swept away with the burning flames of the fire. He settles on the couch and starts pulling out an assortment of objects from a tea kettle to sausage. Vanessa's mouth waters at the sight of food. Soon the whole shack smells like cooking sausage.

"Don't touch anything he gives you, Dudley." Uncle Vernon says sharply.

"Yer great puddin' of a son don' need fattenin' anymore, Dursley, don' worry." The giant chuckles darkly. He passes the sausages to Harry and Vanessa. She scarfs them down, the sausage tastes like the greatest thing in the world. Finally when they had their fill, Harry stares up at the giant.

"I'm sorry, but I still don't really know who you are."

"Call me Hagrid," the giant says. "Everyone does. An' like I told yeh, I'm Keeper of Keys at Hogwarts -- yeh know all about Hogwarts, o' course."