2

Dawn

My tears burn, rolling over my dry lips. They'll let me live, but I have to stay at Hawk. I'm in awe that I was able to save Auria. She probably thinks she's the only survivor.

They'll treat her well. I don't know why, but they need her for something. Of course they didn't tell me when I asked. Instead, they locked me in the compound cells.

I hear the now familiar clanking coming from the door, but this time it isn't food. Two guards appear in their black jumpsuits with thick cobalt bands of color wrapping around them.

"Dawn Orias. You've been requested by the Master." His deep voice is rough. I don't like the guards, they scare me. Their suits allow them to become invisible, and there is never a guarantee you're alone here.

I don't talk, I just stand and let them cuff me and guide me by the arms. I'm not going to cause trouble, at least for now. Instead of walking through any doors, there's a portal. The cells are deep underground, I've got no idea where the compound is.

Both the guards activate the portal, and I feel a sickening falling. Colors flash in front of me and suddenly I land, not falling as the guards grip me tight.

After a moment, they pull me straight into an office. A chair with gold shackles sits across from a man I know well. They lock me into the chair, and leave. My hatred for this so called "Master" is showing on my face. I can't hide it, he's hurt me too much.

I want James. I can't have a dead man. I'm sure the man in front of me helped attack us. I want him dead.

"Long time since I've seen you, Dawn." He says, a tiny smile on his face. I don't speak.

"I know you hate me. I simply wanted you to know I didn't attack you. I pulled you from the rubble myself. I still care about yo-"

"You still care about me? You left me when I was 5! Abandoned a child with an abusive woman! All she did was beat me, then leave me at a facility for orphans!" I start breaking down, tears flowing down my face. "You never cared once you realized you could lead a compound and be the Master! You never came back for me. You knew what she did, but you didn't care. Don't give me your compassion now."

I'd leave, but all I can do is strain against these chains. I'm stuck looking to the floor, I don't want to see him. He's silent. I look up, and what I see surprises me. I don't feel sympathy. His hands are cupped over his mouth, and he's looking to the ground. Tears are flowing from his eyes, his body shaking.

All he does is click a button on the arm of his chair, and the two guards reappear. As they guide me out the door, I hear him whisper two words I thought I'd never hear.

"I'm sorry."