Chapter Twenty Four: It's Complicated

Feels good to be back!

Writing mode on!

Happy Friendship Day to all my readers!

#HappyReading

(UNEDITED)

--------------------------------

"Hey, Margaret!" I stopped at her second call. She came and stood in front of me. My heart raced at what she might say. I crossed my fingers for her to call me Gret and tell me she still remembers me.

"Amber," The name slipped out calmly. She rubbed her nose and fished out a badge from her pocket.

"I think this is yours. It fell out of your jacket pocket when you left gym,"It was mine. The prefect badge from my school. I didn't remember getting it but might have as I was admiring it the night before. It reminded me of school, Tessa and Mike. Thought their memories would help me get over Amber but it did the otherwise. My dark circles could tell.

"Oh, thanks."I plucked it out of her hand and put it back in my pocket. Jeremy and Diego waited for me at the door, when I approached them Amber stopped me for the second time." Yeah?"

The moment I was about to uncross my fingers,

"Umm... I needed to talk to you. Can we meet in the cafeteria in the evening?" Goosebumps spread on my body but I depressed them. No, I couldn't let my hopes up. She stared at me until I answered her.

"Oh, great. Why not When?" Controlled my goosebumps so the excitement directly came out of my mouth. Tsk. Tsk. Margaret.

"Evening I told you,"

"No, I mean time?" This was better.

"6?"

We agreed and parted ways. If she would have said three at night, I am sure I wouldn't have said no. Diego wasn't with Jeremy he was talking to some other guy I didn't know the name of. Jeremy smiled and we started walking. Diego didn't join us immediately but caught up eventually.

None of us was willing to speak much because of the exhaustion but the new charge felt gracious to our bodies and was more effective after three months. The stage of fatigue was reduced to half of what it was ago.

"What did Amber say?" Jeremy broke the silence.

"She found my prefect badge lying outside gym and returned it to me. And quite unexpectedly asked me to meet her in the evening."

"That sounds hopeful. Can I also come?" Diego asked.

"No, I think it would be better if I go. She would get the wrong idea if you also come."

"Yeah, Gret you are going to tell me everything about that."Jeremy said. We entered the cafeteria and got our plates and stood in the queue.

"I tell you everything Jer," I said casually and moved ahead to get served. The food was Indian that day. Spicy curry, vegetable mix which had a strong taste and something like a very thin pancake called 'roti' to eat.

"Or maybe you don't," Diego said who was ahead of me in the line.

"I am not hiding anything from Jer," I said and instantly regretted it.

"I never said you are hiding anything," He left for the tables followed by me and Jeremy. Now there wasn't just one big table for the competitive, there were many now. The purpose of the single table was the bonding between people which had happened quite successfully.

"So are you?" Diego winked and started eating. But I and Jeremy exchanged a look. Was I? Was something coming up that I wasn't ready for? Because I had a feeling. Strong one.