Chapter 7 - Then

I had worked as an assistant for an English professor named Judith Ross — now described on various web sites as “noted novelist Judith Ross” (her notable novels are available on Amazon used for $0.01) — who was going on vacation for the holidays and asked me if I wanted to house-sit and take care of her skittish Yorkshire Terrier, Duncan. 

She presented it as an opportunity to study for my final exams in quiescent solitude, but Carrie and I both saw it as the perfect opportunity to not only have sex for the first time, but to do so in a luxurious queen-sized bed.

Professor Ross never asked me to house-sit or, I realized, do anything at all for her, ever again. It occurred to me, too late, that I may have left a used condom in the little wire mesh trash can in her bathroom.

Anyway.

On a blisteringly cold December day, Carrie assigned me the task of buying condoms, which in the mid-1980’s required a trip to the drug store where, unlike now, they were kept behind the counter. Which meant that I had to ask for them. Out loud.

I nervously approached the silver-haired pharmacist, who regarded me, inexplicably, with cold-eyed hostility.

“What do you need?” he asked impatiently, the deep lines in his forehead joining the rest of his face in disapproval.

“Condoms,” I said, trying not to say the word too loudly, but loudly enough that I wouldn’t have to say it again. 

“What kind?” he demanded.

 I had not considered this.

“Uh...”

He opened a small drawer. “We have latex!” he bellowed. He slammed the drawer shut and opened another. “Sheepskin!” (slam! ) “Lubricated!” (slam!) “Dry lubricated!” 

Slam!

I chose the dry lubricated latex for no other reason than to get him to stop shouting and slamming drawers.