Welcome to Senior Year

"Are you going to keep working here through the school year?" Magnus sweetly asks Lydia. It's the last Friday before school begins. The shop is slow, Lydia sweeping across the room while Magnus and I trim and wrap some bouquets. Not a single customer has been in in nearly an hour, but it's to be expected.

"No, I don't think so. I think I'll focus on my studies," she replies drily. In other words, the sooner she can get away from the two of us the better. Or maybe, the sooner she can get away from Magnus. She doesn't necessarily hate me, but he's not her favourite, that's for sure.

"And you?" Shoot. Its something we haven't spoken about, something I never even thought of. I tie some twine around a rustic looking bouquet before turning my eyes to Magnus. He takes my breath away, every time.

"If your mother will have me, I'd love to." I answer honestly. It'll keep us closer if we're constantly working together, help us stay together when everything is prying us apart.

His smile lights up his eyes, like flicking on the lights and I know I answered correctly. Magnus would never hold it against me if I said no, if I quit and studied instead, or holed up in my room doing nothing. But I'd hold it against myself.

He's selfless that way, always out to make others' happy above himself. Nights could go without sleep, needs unmet as long as he's working hard for someone else. It's in his nature, to give and give but never ask for anything in return.

It's one of the millions of reasons he's the one my hearts chosen, one of the billions of ways in which Magnus Bane is beautiful.

I finish up with the bouquets and place them out in their holders before leaning across the counter, pressing my palms against it. Magnus turns and smiles gently at me before leaning in and pressing his lips to my own in a quick kiss.

It's not quite like rockets, or fireworks or whatever cliche thing everyone claims they feel. It's like laying back in a meadow in the sunlight, that warm breeze, the heat from the sun washing through your bones. It's a slow, peaceful happening, a welcome home, a safe haven.

Lydia scoffs under her breath but I just chuckle. I can't help but find it a little bit funny how she's upset over Magnus stealing me. It's not like he turned me gay, I've just never fallen for someone like this. I doubt I'll ever find someone else like Magnus Bane in my life, he's one of a kind, unique.

***

"Do you want a ride?" I ask through the phone, tossing my last notebook into my black shoulder bag and pulling my leather jacket off of the chair I've started leaving it on.

"Do you want to pick me up?" Mags' counters cheekily. I roll my eyes, knowing he can't see, but let a smirk crawl onto my face.

"I have to drive Iz and Jace too but I'll reserve you the front seat, Bane. See you in 15."  I hang up the phone and jog downstairs, grabbing an apple off of the table.

"Morning, dad," I greet quickly, taking a bite. He looks up from his morning paper with a smile.

"Morning, Alec. Are your siblings ready? Your mother already took Maxie to school," I lean back to peek around to the stairs, releasing a mildly aggravated sigh when I see no signs of Jace or Izzy.

"If they don't come down in 5 is it cool to leave them behind?" I comment snidely. My dad laughs and shakes his head, ruffling the pages of his paper before bowing his head to continue reading. I make my way to the bottom of the stairs.

"Jace! Iz! Lets go! We're picking up Mags'!" I call, knowing if my mother was home I'd get slapped for yelling in her house. But dad just chuckles and takes a pull from his coffee cup, ignoring us.