Shallow>Deep

Magnus opens the door before I can reach out to pull it open on Wednesday morning, the sun barely breaking above the skyline. He grins at me, vibrant and far too awake for 7:30 in the morning.

"Good morning, Alexander!" He chirps brightly. I take a second to assess his outfit- black combat boots, pinstripe burgundy and black pants, and a loose fitting black tee beneath his leather blazer, sleeves rolled to the elbows. He wears black and silver rings as well as an assortment of other jewellery. I glance down at my own outfit- drab black skinny jeans, black scuffed combat boots and a grey long sleeved v-neck.

"Morning," I reply softly, setting my bag on the floor behind the counter.

"Here! I brought coffee," he slides a white paper cup towards me, my name scrawled messily across the top. "I wasn't sure how you took it so I just got black, is that alright?"

"Black is perfect," I smile a bit, despite myself and don't miss the gleam in his eyes.

"You're early," he comments casually as he grabs a broom and sweeps any stray petals off the floor. I sigh a bit, having hoped he wouldn't have said anything.

"Er, yeah, just needed to get out of the house," I answer vaguely. Magnus turns to me, tilting his head like a lost puppy.

"Why's that?" I shrug, taking a long pull from my coffee cup while I ponder how to answer.

"It's just stressful living with such successful people when I'm not going anywhere special." Magnus scoffs and sweeps up the piles he's made, squatting down a few feet away.

"You really are blind to beauty then. Alexander, you don't see yourself clearly." I shake my head with a humourless chuckle.

"Nah, I think you're the delusional one. You haven't met my parents or my siblings. It's impossible to compete. Not that I have much interest in competing. I'm fine in the background." Magnus stands, dumping the contents of the pan into the trash before looking at me, seriousness overtaking his usual carefree expression.

"You don't belong in the background. Beauty deserves to be noticed and appreciated." I roll my eyes, leaning on the counter as I take another sip of my coffee.

"I'm not beautiful, Magnus. Even if I did know what beauty looked like. It's just not me."

"That's it, over this summer, I'm going to show you beautiful things until it clicks. I'm going to make you believe in pretty things again." He grins triumphantly as if he's just come up with a grand master plan to end all world issues. I can't help but laugh at him. He's so easily satisfied, so happy and content, all traits I wish I had.

"You don't have to do that, Magnus," I begin only to be shushed by the shaking of his head, stray bits of glitter shimmering into the morning sunlight and floating to the floorboards.

"I want to. You deserve to feel beautiful. We all do." I drop the subject, rounding the counter and logging onto the till.

"Whatever you say, Magnus." He smirks at me, leaning his wirey arms on the counter and watching me.

"I'm going to go make some bouquets, then, Alexander." I nod dismissively, studying the pricing sheet in front of me in hopes of memorizing something eventually. I hear Magnus' quick steps pass behind me through the doorway and I'm left in peaceful hush.

Magnus emerges from the back a few minutes before we open, humming softly as he skips to the front of the store and flips the sign. I watch him curiously, noting his carefree atmosphere and general happiness- something I'd never be able to achieve. Earlier, I'd thought Lydia was effortlessly pretty, but now I'm starting to come to a different realization. Lydia is attractive, sure, but Magnus? Well, I would wager to say that Magnus might just be effortlessly beautiful.