Summer Jobs

I walk into the small floral shop on main, unsure what exactly my intentions are. My parents- though obscenely wealthy- have made it their goal to force me out into the world, so they say, by making me get a summer job. My siblings have never had any issues fitting in or doing as they're told. 

Izzy is strong and fierce with a strict obsession with fashion. This allows her to fit in and bond with my mother, so much like Izzy yet so different. Izzy stands out in a crowd, her thick hair wild, framing her dark, alluring eyes. She stands with security in herself- something I've never been able to do. 

Jace resembles sunlight. Or spring, in general, the feeling of warmth and brightness surrounding him. He smiles welcomingly, all gleaming teeth and perfect lips, his eyes shimmering like sunbeams on a lake. His exudes confidence, his boldness charming and allowing him to get whatever he wants. 

My youngest brother, Max, is troublesome in a way that our parents see as endearing. He makes everyone laugh with his little antics, his bright eyes always glinting mischievously no matter what. 

So, as you can see, Izzy and Jace had little qualms about finding a summer job. In fact, they were ecstatic. Our family doesn't need the extra money, but our parents were appalled at the idea of the 3 of us lounging around doing nothing all summer. Izzy already got on at a high-end fashion boutique, her dream place to be, Jace working long days out in the sun at our father's Yacht club, cleaning boats and in the down time, suntanning on the hot sand. I, on the other hand, am struggling immensely. I don't fit in at all, I'm the one dull one in a family of brightness, the only one who doesn't have a way of making all eyes flicker to me. It's not that I mind, really, I prefer being on my own. This life is full of people who place far too much importance on materials and outward appearances, severely bereft of anything that matters. I'd much rather be quiet and alone than spend my time with people who are so shallow and vain it's ridiculous. 

The shop has a soft atmosphere, brightness exuding from every corner in the form of bright pink roses or yellow carnations, bouquets surrounding every inch of free space. The lady behind the counter looks up as the bell hanging above the door announces my entrance. Her hair is blonde, tied back into a ponytail. Her eyes are vibrant, a bright blue that nearly rivals the forget me nots in her hand. She's short, much shorter than I am, but she smiles at me fearlessly, carefully setting down the flowers on the dark wood counter in front of her. 

"Hello! My name's Lydia, can I help you with anything today?" She chimes, her voice like silver. My social anxiety bubbles up my throat and I swallow thickly before answering. 

"Uhm, hey, my name's Alexander. I was just hoping to drop a resume off with you," I walk towards the counter, holding the file out in front of me. Lydia smiles again, and I can tell she's the type of person that's pretty without trying. I like that in people. Effortless. Simple. 

"Great! I'll make sure the boss gets it. We should be hiring for the summer, so you're right on time!" I smile a bit at her, stuffing my hands in my pockets. 

"Cool, thank you," I reply awkwardly, leaning back on my heels a bit. She nods and I turn, making my way back out onto the busy street. People in suits with briefcases in hand rush around me, on their way to important meetings or something along those lines. I manoeuvre my way through the thicket of people, ignoring the hot New York sun that beats down on me. I could've taken a car, sure, or even called for a driver if I wanted to be that pretentious, but I prefer to walk. I also could've dropped my last name to Lydia and watched her make the phone call that would get me the job on the spot, but I hate the fact that I have that at my disposal. You see, my family is known to be wealthy, admired, beautiful people. And it's because of them I have no idea what the hell beauty is.