Toothless

When David and Alex finally arrived at Ren's house, it was almost 3:00. Walking out of her house, Ren climbed in the backseat smiling at both boys.

"Where are we going to get this wonderful dog?" Alex asked

"The shelter. They always have cute ones there."

As Ren directed David to the animal shelter, she could feel Alex looking at her. SHe glanced over at him and smiled, blushing slightly at the attention. When they arrived, David pulled out his camera and started filming.

"So we're getting a dog! And by 'we're', I mean Ren is getting a dog!" David turned the camera so it faced Ren and she just slightly smiled and waved at the camera. "What kind of dog are you going to get?"

"Whichever one speaks to me I guess."

After going inside and telling the worker what she wanted, Ren and the boys were taken to the dog center. There were so many dogs in cages. Some looked sad, and some looked happy. Ren looked at one and she knew it was the one she wanted.

"That's Toothless. Named after the dragon from How to Train Your Dragon. He's special. and a little bit damaged. He came  from an abusive home, which he was luckily only in for a couple months. He came in without a name and practically starving."

"I want him. Can I go in?" The lady nodded t her and unlocked the cage. Ren slowly walked in as to not startle the poor dog. "Hi Toothless. I'm Ren." The dog looked at her, and as if deciding she wasn't going to hurt him, slowly walked forward.

She could hear someone walk in beside her. "He likes you already. Reminds me of someone we all know." 

She looked up at David who then looked at Alex who was looking at her. He hadn't realized they were both staring at him. Ren looked back at David and shook her head. "Does not."

The woman handling all the paperwork or Toothless came back in and started going over procedures for taking care o a dog. Ren wasn't listening. She continued to pet Toothless and hold him and occasionally whisper, "It's okay, bud, I'm damaged too."

When it was all over Ren signed some papers and they all left. "Are you wanting to get some stuff for him before we drop you off?"

She nodded and directed them to a pet store. She ended up getting him a bed, some toys, a food/water bowl, some food and some treats. Ren felt good about her new friend and she thought they could help each other.

The boys hung out for another 2 hours before they decided it was time to head back.

"Hey David," Ren started "I want to move to LA."

David smiled at her and hugged her. "We can look for places together if you want? I'll make sure they're close to me."

Ren nodded and went to close the door but David stopped her. "My birthday is coming up and we're going to Vegas. It would mean a lot to me if you came."

"Yeah, I'll be there." He smiled and let her close the door. Ren watched as he climbed into his car and she watched while he sat there in her driveway. It took him 5 minutes before he actually left her house and she wondered what he was doing. Maybe him and Alex were talking? Maybe he was making sure he got everything?

It wasn't long before Ren got a notification from her phone. It was an Instagram notification and she saw that David had tagged her in a post.

daviddobrik Despite his name, he isn't actually toothless

daviddobrik Despite his name, he isn't actually toothless. Congrats @renizzle on the new member of the family. To Ren and Toothless 🥂

She immediately liked the post and realized what David was doing for those 5 minutes. He was bumming off her wifi. And posting the cutest picture ever.

Ren had set up all of her new dogs stuff in her room. Walking back to her room she caked Toothless and he followed happily. Instead of climbing in his bed though he immediately jumped into hers, and she knew she didn't have the heart to kick him out. Not that she wanted to. She snuggled up close to him and felt herself falling asleep. Another day made better by David. She thought. Little did she know just how fast she was falling for him. And little did he know he would fall for her too.