The New Kid on the Block

#3

The New Kid On The Block

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Gerard! Gerard!" Mikey shouts while running as fast as his little legs will let him.

I walk to my doorway to see what exactly Mikey wants, I mean, he never usually gets all excited so it must be important. "Yeah, Mikes?" I ask when he stops at the opening to my room, panting and trying to calm down.

"The neighbors," he pants, "they're adopting a son!"

"How old is he?" I ask, getting a little interested. I'm thirteen and gay, maybe he'll be around my age, maybe he'll be gay or bisexual, maybe he'll he cute.

"I don't know, they told me around my age," he says with excitement still clear in his voice. Well, there goes the gay or bisexual and around my age. I mean, Mikey's ten. No ten year old knows their sexuality, or what sexuality is, probably. He could still be cute though, most little kids are.

"When's he comin'?"

"Tomorrow!"

*~*

Mikey and I sit in the living room, watching the Iero house from the window. They're our next door neighbors, so it isn't at all hard to see. We sit, staring intently at the driveway, waiting for their car to come in sight.

"I wonder what his name is," Mikey says, "I wonder what he looks like. Oh! What if he can sing like you?!"

Mikey continues rambling until I slap my hand over his mouth, "They're home." He jumps up from his chair and sprints to the front door, throwing it open and running out to meet them at the driveway before Mr. Iero can even open his door.

I walk out, a little less excited than Mikey, but still happy. Mikes and I are the only kids on our block, so it gets kind of boring. A new kid is something to be excited about around here.

When I walk out, I see Mrs. Iero holding the hand of the most adorable kid I've ever seen. He has chubby cheeks and dark brown hair, much like mine. He's short and is sporting some converse, jeans, and a black t-shirt. His cheeks have the cutest shade of pink splashed on them and his hazel eyes are wide with curiosity.

"Hello, Gerard," Mrs. Iero calls out, waving a skinny arm at me. I wave back and start walking over there.

"Hi," I say to the short stranger that's now standing in front of me.

"Hi," he replies quietly, obviously a little shy. His voice is higher pitched and is soft. It suits him.

"Gerard, Mikey, this is Frank," she points a finger down at the adorable child and he waves at us.

"How old are you?" I ask, tilting my head down to make eye contact.

"I'm nine," he says proudly, "how old are you?"

"I'm thirteen, my brother is ten, though."

"You're old!" He says loudly and erupts into the cutest fit of giggles I've ever heard. Holy shit, this kid is going to kill me. He laughs like he's high and talks like he's six. He doesn't seem very shy anymore, that's good, I guess.

"I am not!" I say loudly back, I place a hand over my chest in mock hurt, "How could you say that?!"

"Um... Sorry?" He asks, obviously confused.

"Shit-" I start to say, but get cut off.

"Gerard," Mrs. Iero says in a warning tone.

"Crap... I was just joking, man," I ruffle his hair a bit and look over at Mikes.