Chapter Twelve

12 - The Limp

After everyone had finished eating, Lee paid the bill and they all headed back onto the bus. It would take at least an hour to get back to the hotel and the guys were tired. They each headed back to their rooms, all except for Jack. He hung up his leather jacket and found a seat on the couch by Kaitlyn. Neither one of them spoke up, but it was more than obvious that one of them wanted to.

Kaitlyn could hit herself for acting so shy at that moment. What did she have to be afraid of anyways? She got up the courage and mumbled a soft, "Hey."

Jack looked down at her, his eyes full of amusement as he copied her. "Hey."

The silence settled back between them.

"Look, there's this party coming up in a few days. It's kind of like a party to celebrate upcoming singers and their accomplishments." He paused before continuing, "and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

Her mouth dropped. "As in a date?"

Jack's cheeks reddened slightly. "No, uh, just like two people hanging out -"

"..at a party. So like a date?" She said again, this time a giddy smile forming across her lips. She could tell that he was nervous and it made her feel less awkward. She watched as his forehead creased a little as if he was trying to come up with an excuse. She held her hand up.

"I mean, I was going to have to accompany you guys anyways, but if you want me to go specifically with you..I wouldn't decline." She shyly added.

Jack rubbed the back of his neck, feeling like a teenage boy back in high school trying to ask out his crush. "N-no, yeah, that would be great." He stuttered quickly. "I'm just, uh, going to head to the room now." He hastily pushed himself up from the couch, running into the coat rack before cursing. Kaitlyn laughed at his retreating form, not missing the odd limp that accompanied him as he headed down the hall.

Did he always walk like that? She thought, before quickly shaking the thought away. She was just tired, that had to be it. She laid down on the soft couch, curling into a small ball as she thought about her upcoming date with Jack, a girly shriek passing through her lips.