Chapter 4: What Fred Wants

"They're coming up now." Sasha's sister, Stony, announced as she stepped into the room. She raised an eyebrow in surprise as she observed the space. "Wow. Immaculate." She remarked.

"You think so?" I questioned, letting out an exhausted sigh. "I mean, do you think he'll be comfortable?"

She snorted, holding up both of her hands to calm me down. "Michael, it's great. He'll love it." She assured me. "Now please stop fluffing that pillow. It's hardly a pillow anymore. It's a marshmallow at this point."

I looked down at the pillow that I'd completely forgotten that I was holding. "Right." I chuckled nervously, positioning the pillow perfectly at the head of the bed.

"What are you so worked up about anyway?" She asked. "My dad already likes you. He's always liked you." 

"Oh, I don't know." I shrugged. "I guess I just want to make sure that he has everything he needs. I'd hate for him to feel uncomfortable here."

She squinted her eyes, as if trying to see right through me. She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by the sound of the door opening as Sasha and her father entered the room. Her father, Frederick, was hunched over, clutching to his cane for support as Sasha guided him into the room.

Frederick is in critical condition, so critical that the nursing home could no longer provide him with the proper care. After he was hospitalized, Sasha and I decided that it was best with him to come and live with us, where he can get all of the care and attention he could possibly need. Since he might not be around for much longer, Stony will be moving in as well, so that they can both spend quality time with him before it's too late.

"Watch your step, Daddy." Sasha said, looping an arm around his back to hold him up.

I rushed over, holding him on the other side as we led him to the bed. Once he was able to take a seat, he released a deep breath, looking around the room.

"What do you think, Daddy?" Stony asked with a smile, gesturing around her. "Michael spent all day making sure that this room was just right for you."

He turned up his nose, a classic expression of disapproval. "I hate it." He stated in his wispy, crackled voice. 

My heart sunk, and I looked down at the floor to hide my embarrassment as we stood in awkward silence.

Suddenly, Sasha and Stony burst into laughter. I looked up quickly, surprised to find that even Fred was chuckling along.

"He's messing with you, Michael." Sasha giggled, shaking her head. 

I managed to crack a smile, overcome with relief. "That's a wicked sense of humor you got there, Fred."

He smirked, genuinely amused by his little joke. "The room is good." He spoke. "Thank you."

"Of course, anything for you."

Sasha plopped down on the bed next to him, reaching down to untie his shoes. "You want to listen to some music, Daddy? Stony brought your Miles Davis record."

His face lit up at the suggestion. He's not the most vocal man these days, but he's still one of the most expressive people I've ever met.

"Well, I guess I'll leave you to it." I offered, respecting their privacy. If there's one thing that Fred loves, it's listening to jazz with his daughters. "Make yourself at home, Fred."

"Wait." Fred called after me as I started to the door.

I paused, turning back around to face him. He waved me closer, and I obeyed, walking over to the bed and kneeling in front of him.

He rested a hand on my shoulder, looking to my eyes with a deep and serious gaze. For a second, I feared that he would look right into my soul and see all of my wrongdoings. 

"I want to..." He began, trailing off to catch his breath. "I want to walk my daughter-" He stopped, interrupted by his own sputtering cough.

 I sat patiently as he tried several more times to complete his sentence. Sasha rubbed his back comfortingly, speaking small words of encouragement.

"I want to walk my daughter down the aisle." He finally spoke, pointing to Sasha. "Before I die."

He's no longer a man of many words, but when he does speak, he sure makes it count.

I looked to Sasha, who sat with her hands folded in her lap.  I noticed that her left hand was on the bottom, shielding her bare ring finger. 

I sighed. He doesn't know that we called off the engagement.

I turned my attention back to Fred, who was staring at me with an air of hope in his eyes.

I forced a smile, patting his hand. "I think we can make that happen." I assured him, although it pained me to lie. "Right, honey?" I asked, diverting the attention.

She nodded, also painting on a phony smile. "Right."

He pulled me in for a hug, patting my back gently. "That's it." He spoke, his voice straining. "That's all I want."